Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hi all, slightly confused....

User
Posted 25 May 2023 at 10:40

Hi everyone,

First post for me. Am 52, fit, otherwise healthy but recently diagnosed with Gleason 4+4 with 4+3, T3b left seminal vesicle after transperineal biopsy. My Dad had exactly the same score but at 60 yrs old and is still going at 85....just!

Given choice of RARP or HT/RT but all surgeons/oncologists involved recommended RARP first, de-bulk and then see what the situation is for any adjuvant/salvage treatment afterwards. After researching I think that is the right decision. So will be having RARP on 6th June (hoping one nerve spared). All seemed ok at that point but post PETSCAN they have spotted a possible issue with a lymph node.

So now they are suggesting RARP and then let PSA determine whether need Abiraterone and RT afterwards.

Originally there was a suggestion that there was a >50% chance could get rid of it with surgery dependent on no margins.

But does this extra finding mean i am likely to have advanced or metastatic?

I guess i won't know until we get that first PSA test back as to whether the issue with the lymph node is cancer that has spread or is just inflammation or something else?

Any thoughts?

Also if have to do Abiraterone and RT is this likely to be with intent to cure or just to keep low so i can live longer? Do you end up on HT for the rest of your life or just temporary?

Sorry for likelihood of 'it depends' answers.....Only two weeks ago i was looking for a cure from surgery, but now wondering whether this is now actually curable? PSA was 4.74 in March 2023 so my assumption from research was that it was very likely to be relatively localised.....this is abit of a rollercoaster ride!

Thanks all

User
Posted 25 May 2023 at 14:08
Interesting they are recommending surgery, I am guessing it's because of your young age.

If it was me and I was convinced of the surgery path I think I would be asking them to take out the node while they were in there. At least then your post OP PSA result would confirm if they had got it all.

If they leave the node might as well go straight to RT.

User
Posted 25 May 2023 at 14:47

Thanks, yes they are going to try to take the node out and see. Exactly right about surgery, it's due to my age.