I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Another difficult choice

User
Posted 02 Jun 2023 at 15:02

I am 10 years post prostatectomy & 7 years post salvage radiotherapy and have experienced the side effects of the treatments for a good few years.
Increasing Urinary Incontinence has now gotten to the point where the urologist is suggesting an Artificial urinary sphincter to try and resolve it. Has anyone else here had one fitted & what their experiences have been. 

User
Posted 02 Jun 2023 at 19:06
Peter ,If you put AUS in the search box , it will come up with a few conversations, tonypw usually pops ups to comment, but not seen him on here for a while.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 07 Jun 2023 at 15:47

Hi Peter

I had an AUS device (AMS 800) fitted in August 2022 after a prostatectomy in Feb 22, which caused serious incontinence. Next to the prostatectomy, which took 6 hours as I had 2 bladder stones removed and 3 hernias repaired at the same time, it was a very straightforward procedure. I experienced a lot of pain for a week after the prostatectomy but virtually none after the AUS operation and could have returned to work the next day as I had my operation first up around 9am.

After 6 weeks you attend outpatients and drink a couple of litres of water. It is then activated in a procedure that takes all of 2 minutes. You then go away and wait till you need to urinate. This involves pressing a button inside your scrotum. It all seemed to work fine so I was told that I could go home. I got home desperate for another wee and had a bit of an accident in the loo as the pressure to urinate overpowered the device valve without first pressing the button. However, in retrospect I'd overdone drinking water at the hospital and the device isn't intended to prevent you urinating under such circumstances. I believe this is a precaution to prevent complete urinary retention.

The good news is that by drinking just normal amounts of liquid I have found the device very effective. I would say 98%. I have the odd leak, not every day, but it is minimal and I don't wear a pad now as normal cotton underpants deal with it just fine and psychologically I much prefer to dispense with pads.  The button can be a little tricky to locate at first but you soon become more adept. I even play golf without an issue and that involves a lot of hip twisting and pressure in the area of the device.

Overall, quality of life has improved dramatically. It was good news after a miserable 18 months and I really hope that ít is as successful for you.

All the best

Ed

Edited by member 07 Jun 2023 at 15:52  | Reason: Not specified