I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Is there hope for me?

User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 19:49

I am an African,54 years old and diagnosed of intermediate stage Prostrate Cancer 4 years ago.

‘My PSA rose to 66 at a stage but came down when I started the hormone therapy and my PSA came back down to 4

I did the nuclear MRI Scanning after rise in my PSA.It rose to 24 this time .It was seen that my cancer was contained at the lymph nodes and not outside and I had to be put on palliative radiotherapy.6 sessions of once per week which I just finished.

‘Is this type of cancer curable?

I have read in many books how people die after radiotherapy and little life expectancy after radiotherapy.

‘Is my case in the same category ?

What is my chance of survival?

Thanks

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 00:48

Okunrin, from what you've said, it's difficult to guess what your original diagnosis was and exactly what treatment you've had. Hence it's difficult to guess which treatment pathway you're on.

Palliative radiotherapy is aiming to reduce symptoms and/or extend life, but is not curative. However, it doesn't imply you're about to die.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 01:12
Hi OM,

I note your situation and hope the RT works well for you along with your RT. Prostate Cancer is a very complex disease and there are different types, some of which tend to progress faster than others and the RT/HT combination may slow advancement in some cases for years, however, it may be necessary to change the form of HT to a more advanced form when original HT becomes inadequate. RT treats specific areas and can cause cancer cells in the treated areas to die over up to 24 months. However, RT is not going to stop possible to permanently stop spread to non RT treated areas, that is down to HT or Chemo, which treats systemically helping to restrain cancer cells wherever they are. So it's likely more down to how well systemic treatment works than the RT, particularly as this is being described as palliative, but may work to a degree quite well. Some men do well but I suggest you discuss your situation with your Oncologist because men can react very differently to treatment and apart from being medically qualified ie lack access to your histology and scans, which we don't have in both respects.

You should be regularly monitored so that your treatment should be updated as needed to restrain the cancer for as long as possible.
Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 00:48

Okunrin, from what you've said, it's difficult to guess what your original diagnosis was and exactly what treatment you've had. Hence it's difficult to guess which treatment pathway you're on.

Palliative radiotherapy is aiming to reduce symptoms and/or extend life, but is not curative. However, it doesn't imply you're about to die.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 01:12
Hi OM,

I note your situation and hope the RT works well for you along with your RT. Prostate Cancer is a very complex disease and there are different types, some of which tend to progress faster than others and the RT/HT combination may slow advancement in some cases for years, however, it may be necessary to change the form of HT to a more advanced form when original HT becomes inadequate. RT treats specific areas and can cause cancer cells in the treated areas to die over up to 24 months. However, RT is not going to stop possible to permanently stop spread to non RT treated areas, that is down to HT or Chemo, which treats systemically helping to restrain cancer cells wherever they are. So it's likely more down to how well systemic treatment works than the RT, particularly as this is being described as palliative, but may work to a degree quite well. Some men do well but I suggest you discuss your situation with your Oncologist because men can react very differently to treatment and apart from being medically qualified ie lack access to your histology and scans, which we don't have in both respects.

You should be regularly monitored so that your treatment should be updated as needed to restrain the cancer for as long as possible.
Barry