I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pain with bone mets despite high morphine

User
Posted 10 Jun 2023 at 13:47

Hi again, my husband Andy is  currently having 10 sessions of chemo after 2 years on enzalutamide. His pain was under control once he started 30mg slow release morphine twice a day. He also had palliative radiotherapy on his femur and spine where there was a fracture. However on 2 consecutive days this week he was in intense pain in his spine and hip (2 areas where cancer was initially found). He has now been told that it is in multiple areas and extensive. I was really quite frightened by this new onset of pain and I know he was too. He was advised by oncology nurse to take oramorph on top of his usual pain relief, which helped and the next day he was thankfully almost back to his previous level of pain control. Has this happened to other people and is it something to be expected as this cruel disease progresses? I would value information on this.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2023 at 16:23
Sadly yes, this is how it goes. Men don't actually die of prostate cancer - quite often, it is that they need more and more pain relief as time goes on and then eventually, the balance between eradicating the pain and staying conscious shifts.

Hopefully, that is still way off in the future for you. The trick for the time being is keeping the pain relief levels topped up on bad days so that there is little or no breakthrough pain.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 10 Jun 2023 at 17:00

Thank you for the information. I basically thought that is how things might progress - as even on the 2 days when he topped up the pain relief, it wiped him out. I really appreciate you answering my questions honestly and sensitively. It is always helpful and somehow more personal than at a clinic. (We would of course talk to them as well)