Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Exertion

User
Posted 10 Jun 2023 at 20:15

Hi everyone,

My husband has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer which isn’t confined to the prostate.  They have said that there is a localised hot spot on the nearby pelvic bone.  We are awaiting a treatment plan and are at present away on an artic cruise that the consultant said to go on as treatment wouldn’t start til we get home next week.  We have tried to educate ourselves on everything and found this site brilliant.  We are trying to enjoy our holiday as there is nothing we can do at present anyway but it’s hard not to worry.  The consultant intimated that treatment would consist of hormone treatment followed by chemo and radiotherapy.  We don’t know what the prognosis is……….

one of my questions just now is does he need to rest? We are booked on hikes and a bike ride and I’m worried that he will make matters worse.  Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

User
Posted 10 Jun 2023 at 23:27
No carry on as normal before treatment..
User
Posted 11 Jun 2023 at 01:01

I agree with francij. The hotspot on the pelvis is unlikely to have weakened it in any significant way at this stage of the disease. Enjoy your holiday and do everything you want to do.

Dave

User
Posted 11 Jun 2023 at 08:48

Exercise should be regarded as mandatory. There is some evidence it helps treatments work better, and it helps recovery from any treatments. There may be some periods when treatment makes it impossible, but do it while you can.

User
Posted 11 Jun 2023 at 09:39

My advice would be to exercise as much as possible without overdoing it which can make you quite tired during treatment. For me, HT is the real issue, after a year on it(and another 2 to go😟) my joints are stiff and ache. Regular stretching is a must and if possible regular gym sessions. If you’re not a gym person buy a set of resistance bands…a lot cheaper and I  I can do similar exercises to those I do in the gym.
I also find cycling my ebike really good exercise without getting getting exhausted, and it’s really good fun too.

I think exercise is so important that more support should be available.

enjoy your cruise and just make sure your travel insurance are informed about the PCa.

User
Posted 11 Jun 2023 at 16:00
Thanks for the replies. We will carry on with the tour and all we had planned and face whatever awaits us on our return.
Yes travel insurance all sorted before we came thanks Dencho.

All the best everyone