Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Likelihood of Bone Mets - PSA 17 and Bone Lesion

User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 18:09

Hi,

My dad’s recent blood test showed he had a PSA score of 17. His gp referred him for an mri. 

After his mri, he was then referred for a biopsy which he had last week. At his biopsy appointment they referred him for a full body scan as he was told that his mri had picked up a very small shadow on his pelvic bone.

He’s had his biopsy results through which said that his prostate was enlarged slightly on one side and he has PI-RADS of 5. The letter also mentioned the ‘suspicious lesion’ on his pelvis.

I know it is likely he has prostate cancer with his PI-RAD score of 5 but how likely is it that he has prostate cancer bone mets with only a slightly enlarged prostate and a PSA of 17?

My dad is 67 and has no symptoms - only has the PSA test as he asked his gp to add it to a routine blood test he was having.

User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 20:59
I don't think many men with a PSA of sub 20 have bone mets unless they have a type of cancer that expresses low PSA. However, it can happen so best to wait for all tests to be considered by those that have the expertise to evaluate them and make a complete diagnosis rather than speculate. Even then, nothing is certain because due to the way cancer cells are distributed it may be there are microscopic cancer cells that cannot be seen. I assume a full bone scan was done in addition to MRI?
Barry
User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 21:32

Hi Barry,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. 

Yes, he’s been referred for a full body scan with radioactive dye. I’m not sure if this is normal procedure or because of the shadow that was seen on his original mri.

Thanks,

Slipper

User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 22:48
The suspicion of possible bone met would be sufficient reason for a bone scan I think but there must be some discretion the Consultants have as there was no suspicion of any tumour outside my Prostate at the time of my diagnosis but I was given the bone scan. My PSA was 17.6 at the time incidentally.

Do let us know how things progress and treatment offered. following completed diagnosis.
Barry
User
Posted 30 Jun 2023 at 20:39

Hi,

I just thought I’d update this thread for others seeking information as I’ve read nearly every post on this site whilst waiting for my dad’s results to come through.

My dad got the results from his bone scan and biopsy today.

He does have prostate cancer and it has spread to his pelvic bone. The bone scan confirmed a very small spot that it has spread to on his pelvis.

The biopsy of 12 needles showed that 9 out of 12 were positive for cancer. 1 or 2 of these were grade 8 but the rest were grade 6. He has been given a Gleason score of 8 overall.

His consultant has referred him for another scan (not sure if this is a PET or PSMA) to double check that there are no other bone mets but the consultant is hopeful that it hasn’t spread any further.

My dad has already started tablet medication today with injections and radiotherapy (RT is in 6 months) booked in as well.

My dad is 67 and the consultant has said that as long as the scan he’s been booked in for only shows this 1 pelvic bone met, chances are he will die of something else before prostate cancer.

I so hope that this is true as if we can keep my dad for 10+ years then I will be forever grateful.

User
Posted 01 Jul 2023 at 18:03

Hi Slipper, don't worry too much about the single bone met, I started with PSA lower than your dad and a single bone met on my iliac crest on the right hip.

Read my profile, 5 years on (almost) I'm over in Spain enjoying Albarino and the sunshine. Only thing I can't get is holiday insurance without paying 4 figures.

Treatment will quickly flatten the PSA score.

User
Posted 19 Aug 2023 at 23:48

Hi Slipper,

hows your Dad doing?

im in a similar situation but just waiting on a PASM PET scan to see if I have any bone mets. It’s a very worrying time as I’m only 55.
Best wishes 

Mark