Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rise from 0.02 to 0.04 in 7 months

User
Posted 24 Jun 2023 at 11:40

Hi 

Looking for some advice I had a prostatectomy in January 2021 with regular PSA checks thereafter.

My PSA initially was undetectable but rose to 0,02 in March 2022 and at a recent test in June rose to 0.04 and I have been referred to a oncologist to discuss salvage radiotherapy,

I would be grateful for any advice on how to proceed and what questions to ask at the appointment with regard to  alternative treatments as I still have some incontinence issues following the surgery or should I just go with the radiotherapy.

Thanks in advance for any guidance /advice

User
Posted 24 Jun 2023 at 15:57

The usual definition of recurrence after RP is PSA hitting 0.2 or 3 consecutive increases above 0.1. However, some centres are not waiting that long anymore before initiating further investigation or treatment, particularly if the post-prostatectomy histology showed positive margins or if the cancer was aggressive. You haven't given your diagnosis or histology.

The general choice of actions is

1) To wait until the PSA rises to 0.2 or 0.5 and have a PET scan to try and find it, and then treat it and the prostate bed.

2) To assume it's in the prostate bed (which it most commonly is) and treat that with salvage radiotherapy.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2023 at 23:16

As Andy says it depends on your post OP pathology.. If it was aggressive best to go sooner rather than later.

Edited by member 25 Jun 2023 at 14:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 11:02

Hessa, if you have a look in my profile you will see my PSA fluctuated after RARP, although overall the trend was upwards, my post op histology was not good. 

Just clarify your results are 0.02 and 0.04 and not 0.2 & 0.4.  Many  say undetectable is below 0.1, what were your post op values 

A PSA of 0.2 used to be the trigger value for additional treatment. Our hospital will now PSMA scan at 0.3, even at higher levels they are not totally reliable.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 25 Jun 2023 at 11:04  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 21:16

Hi,   

You don't say what undetectable is at your hospital as it can vary from 0.01 to 0.1.   I guess it's 0.01.    You could think that if some people don't know it's changing until it reaches 0.1 then your psa is still low and you could watch it and wait a bit longer.

Although some hospitals intervene earlier than others for reasons said by Andy above or if it's increasing fast.  Yours is increasing moderately.   Mine increased fairly quickly but then slowed a lot.  Mine was five years after the operation.  As yours is fairly soon after the op they might be looking to treat it earlier.

After you ask what they're planning to do you could ask if they're planning to do any scans. Your psa is very low for a scan to find anything.  You might ask at what level they'll offer you a psma scan.  Some hospitals like mine wait until 0.5 others as said above say 0.3.

You could check if they're offering hormones and radiotherapy or just radiotherapy.  How long the hormone treatment will last and if it's before and after radiotherapy.

You could also see if the consultant is one who's willing to do more radiotherapy on other areas if the initial one doesn't get it all.

On alternative treatments when you've had surgery there isn't much other than radiotherapy, as far as I'm aware, unless it can be seen on a scan as being somewhere else in the body than where the prostate was.

You're right to worry about your continence as radiotherapy before it's fully recovered can make it worse, although I don't know much about that. 

Good luck it's always difficult knowing if to let the hospital use radiotherapy without scans or to wait for a scan, especially if the Oncologist is insistent. 

Regards Peter

User
Posted 26 Jun 2023 at 07:57

Post prostatectomy, I was pT3b and gleason 4+5.

Your Oncologist will take that into account alongside your PSA

My post op psa was 0.014, 0.015, 0.019 and 0.023

I had a PSMA Ga68 scan.  It found 2 small areas of cancer just outside the traditional prostate bed treatment area for salvage radiotherapy.  Oncologist was able to include them in SRT.  I also had 18 months of bicalutimide. 

PSA has been <0.006 for 5 years

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jun 2023 at 15:57

The usual definition of recurrence after RP is PSA hitting 0.2 or 3 consecutive increases above 0.1. However, some centres are not waiting that long anymore before initiating further investigation or treatment, particularly if the post-prostatectomy histology showed positive margins or if the cancer was aggressive. You haven't given your diagnosis or histology.

The general choice of actions is

1) To wait until the PSA rises to 0.2 or 0.5 and have a PET scan to try and find it, and then treat it and the prostate bed.

2) To assume it's in the prostate bed (which it most commonly is) and treat that with salvage radiotherapy.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2023 at 23:16

As Andy says it depends on your post OP pathology.. If it was aggressive best to go sooner rather than later.

Edited by member 25 Jun 2023 at 14:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 11:02

Hessa, if you have a look in my profile you will see my PSA fluctuated after RARP, although overall the trend was upwards, my post op histology was not good. 

Just clarify your results are 0.02 and 0.04 and not 0.2 & 0.4.  Many  say undetectable is below 0.1, what were your post op values 

A PSA of 0.2 used to be the trigger value for additional treatment. Our hospital will now PSMA scan at 0.3, even at higher levels they are not totally reliable.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 25 Jun 2023 at 11:04  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 12:36
Post op in 2021 I was initially undetectable and this climbed to 0.02 in February and was steady at this level in October and then climbed 0.04 at my most recent test in May.

Thanks for your reply Chris.

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 21:16

Hi,   

You don't say what undetectable is at your hospital as it can vary from 0.01 to 0.1.   I guess it's 0.01.    You could think that if some people don't know it's changing until it reaches 0.1 then your psa is still low and you could watch it and wait a bit longer.

Although some hospitals intervene earlier than others for reasons said by Andy above or if it's increasing fast.  Yours is increasing moderately.   Mine increased fairly quickly but then slowed a lot.  Mine was five years after the operation.  As yours is fairly soon after the op they might be looking to treat it earlier.

After you ask what they're planning to do you could ask if they're planning to do any scans. Your psa is very low for a scan to find anything.  You might ask at what level they'll offer you a psma scan.  Some hospitals like mine wait until 0.5 others as said above say 0.3.

You could check if they're offering hormones and radiotherapy or just radiotherapy.  How long the hormone treatment will last and if it's before and after radiotherapy.

You could also see if the consultant is one who's willing to do more radiotherapy on other areas if the initial one doesn't get it all.

On alternative treatments when you've had surgery there isn't much other than radiotherapy, as far as I'm aware, unless it can be seen on a scan as being somewhere else in the body than where the prostate was.

You're right to worry about your continence as radiotherapy before it's fully recovered can make it worse, although I don't know much about that. 

Good luck it's always difficult knowing if to let the hospital use radiotherapy without scans or to wait for a scan, especially if the Oncologist is insistent. 

Regards Peter

User
Posted 26 Jun 2023 at 07:57

Post prostatectomy, I was pT3b and gleason 4+5.

Your Oncologist will take that into account alongside your PSA

My post op psa was 0.014, 0.015, 0.019 and 0.023

I had a PSMA Ga68 scan.  It found 2 small areas of cancer just outside the traditional prostate bed treatment area for salvage radiotherapy.  Oncologist was able to include them in SRT.  I also had 18 months of bicalutimide. 

PSA has been <0.006 for 5 years