I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

HT and knee stiffness

User
Posted 26 Jun 2023 at 17:24

Hi all. Diagnosed with PCa in September 22 and MDT decided my treatment plan of T2c M0 N0 Gleason 9 (4+5). I am 10 months into HT and have had 20 sessions of RT with a curative intent. I have a DVT history so no RALP offered. I have had no side effects from RT other than initially going to the toilet. Nothing since. No fatigue. From HT I have had the usual libido, occasional hot sweats and a bigger mid-rift. Again no fatigue. However over the last 2 weeks I have developed knee stiffness particularly right knee. No pain just stiffness. Once I am upright no knee stiffness it’s when I am getting up from a sitting position. Could this be HT or age? If HT will it go after my HT as finished? I am 59. Thanks. 

User
Posted 26 Jun 2023 at 17:52

Hi SLF,

You sound very similar to me. Mine started in lower back, then hips, then knees elbows and shoulders.
I never had any issues before HT so I’m pretty certain it’s down to that. Going to start swimming tomorrow as some have advised that it helps.
Keeping active does seem to help a bit.
I’m not sure what causes the stiffness and aches, I’m wondering whether it’s down to muscle loss?

If you read my recent post you might get some ideas.

Derek

Edited by member 26 Jun 2023 at 17:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 15:15

I am 22 months into a 36-month Zoladex course for my locally advanced PC. After about 12 months I developed stiffness in my feet, legs, and especially in my hands. The stiffness has been with me ever since. More recently the stiffness in my hands has increased and become painful. Steroid injections have helped a bit with the stiffness.

I had 6 x chemo followed by 37 fractions of radiotherapy but the ongoing HT has been the most difficult. Side effects wise I seemed to have copped the lot - hot flushes, weight gain, fatigue, and joint pain. I believe that these side effects will decrease after the Zoladex is stopped but I understand this can take some time.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 16:49
Nearly 3 yrs on HT and a gradual decline in all joints , especially my knees. Ok if I keep moving. I’m on it for life and it gets you down 🥲
User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 19:06

Chris, you are so right…we need to keep MOVING! I find the more I move the better my knees get. I feel sorry for anyone being on HT for life as it does get me down at times. I was in my garage the other day trying to level up some kitchen units and I really struggles to get up from the (cold!) floor. I ended up in tears😢

If I was on HT for life I would seriously consider having an orchidectomy…however I am not sure whether it is the drug itself or the lack of testosterone that brings in the stiffness?

I really think there needs to be more support for those on long term(even 3 years) HT to help manage side effects. I had a telephone appointment today with my ED nurse(who has been excellent). At my first(of 3 meetings so far) she recommended taking Vitamin E to help with my ED and Peyronie’s disease(which it has done) and I was telling her how much they had helped with my hot flushes….she hadn’t heard of that before.

User
Posted 05 Oct 2023 at 00:08

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis to the hip a couple years after surgery. I also started with a knee problem about a year ago,it turns out that is a meniscus tear, arthritis and cartilage damage. I only started on bicalutamide four months ago. 

Thanks Chris 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Jun 2023 at 17:52

Hi SLF,

You sound very similar to me. Mine started in lower back, then hips, then knees elbows and shoulders.
I never had any issues before HT so I’m pretty certain it’s down to that. Going to start swimming tomorrow as some have advised that it helps.
I’m not sure what causes the stiffness and aches, I’m wondering whether it’s down to muscle loss?

Derek

Edited by member 26 Jun 2023 at 17:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jun 2023 at 22:29

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi SLF,

Derek

Thanks for the reply. Knee stiffness is the only current thing I have in terms of joint stiffness, aches or pains. I am convinced it’s HT. I exercise all the time so pushing through the HT. Thanks again. 

Andy

User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 15:15

I am 22 months into a 36-month Zoladex course for my locally advanced PC. After about 12 months I developed stiffness in my feet, legs, and especially in my hands. The stiffness has been with me ever since. More recently the stiffness in my hands has increased and become painful. Steroid injections have helped a bit with the stiffness.

I had 6 x chemo followed by 37 fractions of radiotherapy but the ongoing HT has been the most difficult. Side effects wise I seemed to have copped the lot - hot flushes, weight gain, fatigue, and joint pain. I believe that these side effects will decrease after the Zoladex is stopped but I understand this can take some time.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 16:49
Nearly 3 yrs on HT and a gradual decline in all joints , especially my knees. Ok if I keep moving. I’m on it for life and it gets you down 🥲
User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 19:06

Chris, you are so right…we need to keep MOVING! I find the more I move the better my knees get. I feel sorry for anyone being on HT for life as it does get me down at times. I was in my garage the other day trying to level up some kitchen units and I really struggles to get up from the (cold!) floor. I ended up in tears😢

If I was on HT for life I would seriously consider having an orchidectomy…however I am not sure whether it is the drug itself or the lack of testosterone that brings in the stiffness?

I really think there needs to be more support for those on long term(even 3 years) HT to help manage side effects. I had a telephone appointment today with my ED nurse(who has been excellent). At my first(of 3 meetings so far) she recommended taking Vitamin E to help with my ED and Peyronie’s disease(which it has done) and I was telling her how much they had helped with my hot flushes….she hadn’t heard of that before.

User
Posted 05 Oct 2023 at 00:08

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis to the hip a couple years after surgery. I also started with a knee problem about a year ago,it turns out that is a meniscus tear, arthritis and cartilage damage. I only started on bicalutamide four months ago. 

Thanks Chris