I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

3 moths HT

User
Posted 26 Jun 2023 at 20:53

Good evening guy's and girls. My last meeting with Oncologist regarding LDR  Brachytherapy, informed me I'd require 3 months of HT prior to treatment as my prostate is 54cc and needs shrinking. This is if I indeed go down this route as I'm presently on A/S. I'm swaying between Prostatectomy  and  Brachytherapy as I'm attracted by the least side effects it reportedly gives! My question is, has any gentlemen had 3 months of HT prior to Brachytherapy or indeed EBRT and how was it for them? I'm fully aware that quite a few gentlemen on here have had a considerable time of HT and you have my sympathy as 3 months probably sounds like a cake walk. I'd appreciate any advice regarding this. Thanks in advance. 

User
Posted 26 Jun 2023 at 22:17

When the purpose is just to shrink the prostate, 3-6 months Bicalutamide is often often used, which has fewer side effects than the hormone therapy injections.

User
Posted 27 Jun 2023 at 23:37

OK, the injection will be one of Zoladex, Prostap, or Decapeptyl.

These all have to be started with a 28 day course of Bicalutamide, with the first injection roughly in the middle of the 28 days.

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 08:38

Hi Fifefella,

you need to be aware that some of the side effects of HT occur pretty quickly. Chemical castration is usually a couple of weeks following the injection.  The hot flashes and complete lack of libido are very noticeable.

N

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Jun 2023 at 22:17

When the purpose is just to shrink the prostate, 3-6 months Bicalutamide is often often used, which has fewer side effects than the hormone therapy injections.

User
Posted 26 Jun 2023 at 22:32

Thanks for getting back Andy62. He did mention getting an injection along with tablets. Whilst listening to all this I failed to ask him the exact tablets and injections I'd be getting. Regards 

User
Posted 27 Jun 2023 at 23:37

OK, the injection will be one of Zoladex, Prostap, or Decapeptyl.

These all have to be started with a 28 day course of Bicalutamide, with the first injection roughly in the middle of the 28 days.

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 08:30

Morning Andy62.

Many thanks for your reply. Regards 

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 08:38

Hi Fifefella,

you need to be aware that some of the side effects of HT occur pretty quickly. Chemical castration is usually a couple of weeks following the injection.  The hot flashes and complete lack of libido are very noticeable.

N

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 09:11

Morning 44nigel 

Appreciate your advice. Regards