Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Wounds post RARP

User
Posted 29 Jun 2023 at 19:54

Hi all,

any advice to help healing of wounds post RARP? I have heard before to put on Vaseline or Bio Oil? Or just leave alone and let it all happen naturally?

Any ideas?

thanks

User
Posted 29 Jun 2023 at 22:04
Have the wounds closed up and stitches all gone? If not, don't put anything on them in case you introduce bacteria. Once the wounds are healed, you can massage in bio-oil to reduce scar tissue but, to be honest, scar tissue isn't really a problem with keyhole surgery. I don't think vaseline will do any good at all!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Jun 2023 at 22:39

The surgeon and nurses who treated me said to put nothing on the wounds. They just healed of their own accord with minimal scarring.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Jun 2023 at 22:04
Have the wounds closed up and stitches all gone? If not, don't put anything on them in case you introduce bacteria. Once the wounds are healed, you can massage in bio-oil to reduce scar tissue but, to be honest, scar tissue isn't really a problem with keyhole surgery. I don't think vaseline will do any good at all!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Jun 2023 at 22:39

The surgeon and nurses who treated me said to put nothing on the wounds. They just healed of their own accord with minimal scarring.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2023 at 10:29

They’re ok, no stitches just glue. Apart from the drain spot but that’s just got some butterfly stitches still on it.

i’ll go Natural I think as seems to be the best approach. Thanks.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2023 at 16:17
I've just been left with white lines where the five incisions were from the robot. Only the big one (which they remove the cut out bits through) is really visible. No scar tissue.
User
Posted 30 Jun 2023 at 17:08

I was advised to use E45 to keep the skin supple once the dressings were removed and that has worked well for me - 6 weeks post RARP and all but the middle one have all but disappeared and the middle one is on it's way out.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2023 at 17:23

Mine were also held together with glue (outside at least) and it was horribly itchy.  A couple were a bit weepy so they were dressed before I was discharged and I was advised to visit GP practice nurse for a look-see after a week.  I didn't apply anything to them, and 2 years later even I have a job finding them other than the "poor man's umbilicoplasty" where the offending item made its exit.

Upkeep