I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hard Decision at 44 - Anyone around my age?

User
Posted 01 Jul 2023 at 13:08

Hello

I have been here for around 3 weeks now and found everyone extremely helpful thank you 😊 

I am G6 T1 N0 - 2 Cores positive PSA 5.07

Dad died of aggressive PC @67 

The Urologist Consultant diagnosed me on 14th June and gave me lots of literature and said come back in September with another PSA and we will talk treatment. 
He was steering against AS and more towards other treatments (RP, BT, RT) due to my age and family history. 
I have done lots of research, found it helpful here and spoken to others but I have found it really difficult to find others around my age to get their perspective and thought process on treatments, side effects and how they have gotten on since these. 

If you can help me on this and around 44 or was on diagnosis/treatment, I would be really grateful to hear from you. 

Many thanks 

Carl 

User
Posted 01 Jul 2023 at 14:19

Hi Carl,
have you looked at the 'younger men' area of the forum? That will give you an idea of other experiences in similar circumstances to yours, although many of the men have stopped posting after their treatment was completed. The most active members with similar situations to yours are probably Ulsterman and Fullscreen. There are ex-members like Candyman, Bazza and Otto who were diagnosed in their 30s or early 40s but sadly, it is sometimes the case that the cancer is much more persistent when you are very young and, for these men, the cancer became terminal.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/topics/46-Younger-men 

Edited by member 01 Jul 2023 at 14:23  | Reason: to activate hyperlink

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Jul 2023 at 00:08

Hi Carl.  I was 46 when I had my prostatectomy.   I needed salvage radiotherapy and hormone therapy afterwards, but they sorted my cancer and I've no regrets with my treatment pathway.

User
Posted 02 Jul 2023 at 08:14
I was 48 at surgery but was pretty much already incurable. But hey ho here I still am at 56 in my halcyon days 😀😀. Read my profile under my name and good luck
User
Posted 02 Jul 2023 at 20:38

Sorry to hear that you were incurable but very pleased that you are still with us. 😊

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Jul 2023 at 14:19

Hi Carl,
have you looked at the 'younger men' area of the forum? That will give you an idea of other experiences in similar circumstances to yours, although many of the men have stopped posting after their treatment was completed. The most active members with similar situations to yours are probably Ulsterman and Fullscreen. There are ex-members like Candyman, Bazza and Otto who were diagnosed in their 30s or early 40s but sadly, it is sometimes the case that the cancer is much more persistent when you are very young and, for these men, the cancer became terminal.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/topics/46-Younger-men 

Edited by member 01 Jul 2023 at 14:23  | Reason: to activate hyperlink

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Jul 2023 at 14:54

Thank you. 
I didn’t know there was a younger area. 
very helpful and much appreciated 😊

User
Posted 02 Jul 2023 at 00:08

Hi Carl.  I was 46 when I had my prostatectomy.   I needed salvage radiotherapy and hormone therapy afterwards, but they sorted my cancer and I've no regrets with my treatment pathway.

User
Posted 02 Jul 2023 at 06:51

Morning 

Thank you for your insight and your feedback with follow up treatment. 
Glad you have no regrets, I guess that is the way to view a decision. 

User
Posted 02 Jul 2023 at 08:14
I was 48 at surgery but was pretty much already incurable. But hey ho here I still am at 56 in my halcyon days 😀😀. Read my profile under my name and good luck
User
Posted 02 Jul 2023 at 20:38

Sorry to hear that you were incurable but very pleased that you are still with us. 😊