I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Exhibited no symptoms

User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 09:14

I considered myself healthy and active and exhibited no symptoms until the day I spotted a little blood in my urine. Visited my GP (at the height of CoVid lockdown I got an immediate face-to-face appointment rather than the then normal telephone consult) who thought it might be a urinary tract infection but as a precaution sent me for a cystoscopy/prostate examination and requested CT and MRI scans. After the cystocopy there was a blood test with the result that my PSA was 226(!) and from the scans a diagnosis of Stage 4 Prostate Cancer.

User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 09:14

I considered myself healthy and active and exhibited no symptoms until the day I spotted a little blood in my urine. Visited my GP (at the height of CoVid lockdown I got an immediate face-to-face appointment rather than the then normal telephone consult) who thought it might be a urinary tract infection but as a precaution sent me for a cystoscopy/prostate examination and requested CT and MRI scans. After the cystocopy there was a blood test with the result that my PSA was 226(!) and from the scans a diagnosis of Stage 4 Prostate Cancer.

User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 18:55

Thanks.

No, had had no previous PSA tests. Although I have advised other men in family and circle of friends/acquitances to get themselves tested. It never crossed my mind until I saw the blood in my urine that there anything wrong.

Treatment plan is well under way; chemo in Spring 2020 and currently (2023) having radiotherapy, which I am half-way through.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 11:52
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Had you ever had a previous PSA test?

Do you have a treatment plan yet from your oncologist?

User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 18:55

Thanks.

No, had had no previous PSA tests. Although I have advised other men in family and circle of friends/acquitances to get themselves tested. It never crossed my mind until I saw the blood in my urine that there anything wrong.

Treatment plan is well under way; chemo in Spring 2020 and currently (2023) having radiotherapy, which I am half-way through.

User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 22:31

Sorry you hear this, and I hope your treatment is going well.

Most guys diagnosed had no symptoms of the prostate cancer. Some have urinary symptoms of going a night, or frequently or urgently or slowly, etc (known as Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms). We now know these are nothing to do with prostate cancer, but are related to an enlarged prostate.