I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The not very secret Prostate Cancer Diary of Flygidz Part 4

User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 15:11

While I was lying on the table thingy this morning (actually quite comfortable) It occurred to me I might start Part 3 and a new phase of the fun and games is underway...

A quick recap - more or less this time last year I got the word that I had PCa - the full story of diagnosis is to be found in Part 1 - In the end I elected to go for Robotic RP as a first step. On reflection equipped with what I know now that I didn't then I'd still go that way. Although it was a lot gnarly-er than it was sold to me as and there are a lot of suggestions I'd make in terms of information/briefings for patients for the whole post op experience.

As it turned out the RRP did not do the job. While the initial histology of the gland post op confirmed the the original diagnosis (G7 (4+3) T3a NO. Perplexed by the by my numbers failure to perform as required a further examination was carried out which showed besides the 4s and 3s some tertiary 5s (uh oh). - Although how this was explained to to me initially caused a lot of confusion and gulping. At the same time the margin was negative but so fantastically small that you have trouble working in a cigarette paper. Further they were concerned with some data from my scans which showed the possibility of metastasis.The long and the short of it was I was referred onwards for some salvage treatment. 

This started with what will be a 6 month course of Prostap 3 - preceded with a four week course of the anti PSA flare drug - whose name escapes me now.. (well two weeks before and two weeks after the first Prostap 3 jab the standard drill

So then 1st Prostap jab (which really feckin hurt - it's funny with jabs and even cannula insertions being pretty painless these days (though more of that later!) it's a bit of a surprise when a jab hurts - but hurt it did.  Originally the talk was of Zolodex but it was changed to Prostap for some reason or other (I suspect because my GP prefers it - least way I was told that unless the Oncologist has said absolutely Zolodex then Prostate is what they give). 

Side effects wise it hasn't been too bad - I liken it with a perpetual low grade reverse hangover (in that instead of getting better as the day wears on it gets worse) but nothing too onerous and just as well really because besides my saga Mrs Flygidz is weathering her own health storm and I'm the primary carer (again more detail in the earlier parts). Suffice to say there has been a lot of phone calling e-mailing and metaphoric pounding on tables to try and keep both treatment routines moving forward.

So that, in a nutshell is the story so far...

So on to what I've been calling the nuking but more recently the radio gaga phase. I was eventually advised that the planning scan so forth would happen on the 12th of June. (but it took quite a bit of the aforesaid emailing, phoning and table banging to get that far). 

On the 12th I duly rock up and go through the whole routine of briefing - running through the consent forms again - an explanation of what would be happening that day - although it had been covered pretty well on the leaflets they sent out ahead of time. I should add at this point that three days before I went for a blood test - now here's what was interesting although the primary function of the blood test is to make sure that your kidney function and what not is up to hacking the goop they are going to stick in to you during the scan - you'd expect they'd want to get an update on the PSA as well (since it was a couple of months since the previous reading).

Indeed on the paperwork for the blood test PSA had been ticked and then crossed out - a point raised by the phleboto...phleb...oh you know vampire. She was confused by it and to be honest so was I. Sure enough when I arrived for the planning thing first thing I was asked was "did they check your PSA in the blood test on Friday because there's no result" - Told the Nurse the story and more confusion reigned - bottom line "stick out your arm you are getting one now". 

Next up the botty/bladder routine... First of all off to the loo to apply the micro enema (or botty bomb as I call it) and let it do it's work - while you are at it wazz away - they want to get a clear picture of how many cups of water are required to get your bladder to optimum full which they measure with an ultrasound gizmo. I was lucky I hit the target first go - there was one fella there on his second or third go. (I dunno but I stuck to the hydration routine in the days leading up to the appointment pretty rigidly and I'm sure that helped - not much fluid being diverted to rehydration) 

Next up time to stick the Cannula for the goop to go in - this turned out to be a bit of an adventure, the nurse who was doing the sticking was learning - and everybody's go to learn sometime right? Besides she'd done fine with the blood test...what could possibly go wrong? I pointed out a juicy vein on the back of my hand but for some reason she was scared of that and (with her trainer observing went for one in crook of my opposite elbow and missed - as I discovered when the put in the flush saline...first it wouldn't flush then when it did...ouch... at this point the trainer said it is hurting?  Yes says I have you ever been punched in the arm - you know to get a dead arm?  Yes says she - "well" says I "that". cue consternation and a retargeting in the juicy vein pointed out earlier...bingo first go no worries.

Anyway off to the chamber of secret for assorted scanning and tattooing - there was a certain amount of positioning and measuring and re-postioning before in went the goop. I was warned that the goop may may me feel a bit iffy perhaps with a hot flush - but in all honesty I didn't get anything really noticeable.  I also got the idea that the goop is time sensitive because while one radiographer was doing last moment position tweaking. The other was calling out times 60 secs 30 secs and so forth.

The scanny bit done it was on with the tats - frankly another non event.  

I expected that I'd be given a kick off date fairly quickly but it didn't happen instead I got a call from my Oncologist  right full steam ahead on the 26th...righto says I marking out my calendar for the next 33 weekdays...a couple of days later I get another call from her saying yesssss well we going to do more than we thought but that means a delay of a week - cue redoing of diary. (except it took a lot longer than that she one of those why use one word when 17 will do types) There was a bit more to-ing and fro-ing and couple more calls from the Onco - including one just after I'd picked up my cousin and here two kids en-route to a family wedding weekend - but roll forward to today and session 1.

Really there's not much to say about it ...before departure checks botty bomb applied effect happens and chocks away - they want you to do it an hour before appointment time - luckily I live about a 45 minute drive from the hospital. So basically bombs gone and boogie.
On arrival wheeled in bladder content checked.. a bit more added and into the dungeon for zappage - admin to confirm consent and so fourth and were off to the races 5-10 mins later done.  And head off clutching the A4 sheet with the rest of this week's appointments on - dunno what they do elsewhere but at the QA the drill is each Thursday you get your times for the following week - which rather makes forward planning more than 7 days out a non-starter. So just the data from now till Friday and await with baited breath until Thurs for next week's excitement.

That's it for now...

User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 15:11

While I was lying on the table thingy this morning (actually quite comfortable) It occurred to me I might start Part 3 and a new phase of the fun and games is underway...

A quick recap - more or less this time last year I got the word that I had PCa - the full story of diagnosis is to be found in Part 1 - In the end I elected to go for Robotic RP as a first step. On reflection equipped with what I know now that I didn't then I'd still go that way. Although it was a lot gnarly-er than it was sold to me as and there are a lot of suggestions I'd make in terms of information/briefings for patients for the whole post op experience.

As it turned out the RRP did not do the job. While the initial histology of the gland post op confirmed the the original diagnosis (G7 (4+3) T3a NO. Perplexed by the by my numbers failure to perform as required a further examination was carried out which showed besides the 4s and 3s some tertiary 5s (uh oh). - Although how this was explained to to me initially caused a lot of confusion and gulping. At the same time the margin was negative but so fantastically small that you have trouble working in a cigarette paper. Further they were concerned with some data from my scans which showed the possibility of metastasis.The long and the short of it was I was referred onwards for some salvage treatment. 

This started with what will be a 6 month course of Prostap 3 - preceded with a four week course of the anti PSA flare drug - whose name escapes me now.. (well two weeks before and two weeks after the first Prostap 3 jab the standard drill

So then 1st Prostap jab (which really feckin hurt - it's funny with jabs and even cannula insertions being pretty painless these days (though more of that later!) it's a bit of a surprise when a jab hurts - but hurt it did.  Originally the talk was of Zolodex but it was changed to Prostap for some reason or other (I suspect because my GP prefers it - least way I was told that unless the Oncologist has said absolutely Zolodex then Prostate is what they give). 

Side effects wise it hasn't been too bad - I liken it with a perpetual low grade reverse hangover (in that instead of getting better as the day wears on it gets worse) but nothing too onerous and just as well really because besides my saga Mrs Flygidz is weathering her own health storm and I'm the primary carer (again more detail in the earlier parts). Suffice to say there has been a lot of phone calling e-mailing and metaphoric pounding on tables to try and keep both treatment routines moving forward.

So that, in a nutshell is the story so far...

So on to what I've been calling the nuking but more recently the radio gaga phase. I was eventually advised that the planning scan so forth would happen on the 12th of June. (but it took quite a bit of the aforesaid emailing, phoning and table banging to get that far). 

On the 12th I duly rock up and go through the whole routine of briefing - running through the consent forms again - an explanation of what would be happening that day - although it had been covered pretty well on the leaflets they sent out ahead of time. I should add at this point that three days before I went for a blood test - now here's what was interesting although the primary function of the blood test is to make sure that your kidney function and what not is up to hacking the goop they are going to stick in to you during the scan - you'd expect they'd want to get an update on the PSA as well (since it was a couple of months since the previous reading).

Indeed on the paperwork for the blood test PSA had been ticked and then crossed out - a point raised by the phleboto...phleb...oh you know vampire. She was confused by it and to be honest so was I. Sure enough when I arrived for the planning thing first thing I was asked was "did they check your PSA in the blood test on Friday because there's no result" - Told the Nurse the story and more confusion reigned - bottom line "stick out your arm you are getting one now". 

Next up the botty/bladder routine... First of all off to the loo to apply the micro enema (or botty bomb as I call it) and let it do it's work - while you are at it wazz away - they want to get a clear picture of how many cups of water are required to get your bladder to optimum full which they measure with an ultrasound gizmo. I was lucky I hit the target first go - there was one fella there on his second or third go. (I dunno but I stuck to the hydration routine in the days leading up to the appointment pretty rigidly and I'm sure that helped - not much fluid being diverted to rehydration) 

Next up time to stick the Cannula for the goop to go in - this turned out to be a bit of an adventure, the nurse who was doing the sticking was learning - and everybody's go to learn sometime right? Besides she'd done fine with the blood test...what could possibly go wrong? I pointed out a juicy vein on the back of my hand but for some reason she was scared of that and (with her trainer observing went for one in crook of my opposite elbow and missed - as I discovered when the put in the flush saline...first it wouldn't flush then when it did...ouch... at this point the trainer said it is hurting?  Yes says I have you ever been punched in the arm - you know to get a dead arm?  Yes says she - "well" says I "that". cue consternation and a retargeting in the juicy vein pointed out earlier...bingo first go no worries.

Anyway off to the chamber of secret for assorted scanning and tattooing - there was a certain amount of positioning and measuring and re-postioning before in went the goop. I was warned that the goop may may me feel a bit iffy perhaps with a hot flush - but in all honesty I didn't get anything really noticeable.  I also got the idea that the goop is time sensitive because while one radiographer was doing last moment position tweaking. The other was calling out times 60 secs 30 secs and so forth.

The scanny bit done it was on with the tats - frankly another non event.  

I expected that I'd be given a kick off date fairly quickly but it didn't happen instead I got a call from my Oncologist  right full steam ahead on the 26th...righto says I marking out my calendar for the next 33 weekdays...a couple of days later I get another call from her saying yesssss well we going to do more than we thought but that means a delay of a week - cue redoing of diary. (except it took a lot longer than that she one of those why use one word when 17 will do types) There was a bit more to-ing and fro-ing and couple more calls from the Onco - including one just after I'd picked up my cousin and here two kids en-route to a family wedding weekend - but roll forward to today and session 1.

Really there's not much to say about it ...before departure checks botty bomb applied effect happens and chocks away - they want you to do it an hour before appointment time - luckily I live about a 45 minute drive from the hospital. So basically bombs gone and boogie.
On arrival wheeled in bladder content checked.. a bit more added and into the dungeon for zappage - admin to confirm consent and so fourth and were off to the races 5-10 mins later done.  And head off clutching the A4 sheet with the rest of this week's appointments on - dunno what they do elsewhere but at the QA the drill is each Thursday you get your times for the following week - which rather makes forward planning more than 7 days out a non-starter. So just the data from now till Friday and await with baited breath until Thurs for next week's excitement.

That's it for now...

User
Posted 07 Aug 2023 at 15:08

My original plan was to post a half-time report....but it's a bit delayed - I was overtaken by events and so this is a bit later than planned. So here it is my radio-ga-ga half time report.

Week one (zaps 1-4)

There's not a lot to tell you about this one it was more about fine tuning the fluid intake and timing before heading to QA as I mentioned earlier about a 40 minute drive from Casa Flygidz (actually a bit quicker than that in the mornings - once the school holidays kicked in ironically it tends to take longer in the middle of the day - could that be due the the greater number of caravans and campers on the road later on....you be the judge!) The bottom line is I have found that for morning zaps if I have my good morning cup of mint tea (I get up quite early (0430-0500) to knock off a couple of hours work before Mrs Flygidz surfaces) my normal first cuppa and hello world coffee (keeping in mud for the latter two I have an enormous mug) supplemented by 600ml consumed enroute to QA I'm pretty good to go - if I get over full I can ease springs and still be 'recycled' and at optimum capacity within 10 minutes. For later in the day zaps I just keep topping up which is a bit of a bore (another good reason why morning zaps are better more of that later).  Overall, a smooth week.

Week 2 (Zaps 5-9) 

If week one was smooth week two was rather more bumpy and something of a learning curve. Remember back in school when they told you read the question? Yep a trap I fell into lesson one from week two was read the appointment sheet properly when you get it - see my mistake was lodging in my brain the mantra all zappings will take place Monday to Friday - with the exception of Bank holidays...so consequently I thought to myself "no Bank Hols ergo nothing to think about"....wrong turns out one of my zaps for week two wasn't on the Fri but rather the Saturday which I would have realised if I'd taken the trouble to read the slot sheet properly instead of after I drove to QA for the appointment that wasn't. 
The week's second and third lessons came in the form of getting into panic stations about being late because of a traffic jam  prang on the A27 as it turned out.  I have a pathological hatred of being late - military up bringing you see? On time is 10 minutes early etc etc so stress levels mount - the other thing that mounted was the stress level of my bladder what I thought was my carefully crafted prep regime was revealing its rather fundamental flaw...delays are painful - in the end having come off the 27 I was navigating the back doubles (slowly...everyone else had the same idea) Push eventually came to shove and I made a pit stop nipping down a coveinient alley to ease springs.  So what did I learn 1) they are used to it when I phoned zap land from the traffic jam I was told not to worry about it to check in when I arrived - to be honest I thought this would result in a long wait - turns out it didn't.  Second to dig out the 'little John" - a sort of bedpan affair I had from years ago when building flight time cross-country flying in small aircraft ( I couldn't find it too many years, and too many house moves) but I did improvise a solution.
The fourth lesson is later in the day means delays - An adult life spent in airports has revealed that the later in the day a flight is scheduled the more likely it is to be delayed (and especially if you are going home) so it proved with zapping too with the latest scheduled zap of the fist half at 1730 not happening until 1815.

On then to side effects: nothing particularly interesting a little 'instant sunshine burn/rash' but not that irritating and a strange slightly wobbly weird feeling - like the feeling when you are hungry and have a bit of a sugar crash from about 5 mins post zap but usually gone within the hour. Also beginning to experience a bit of discomfort/pain in lower back - which is controllable with ibruprophen 

Week 3 (zaps 10-14)
Nothing particularly interesting to add everything ran to time or even a little ahead - I pitch up early and usually get seen not that long after arrival so I recommend it book in early get out quicker. Side effects much the same but more so and just the beginnings of things getting looser (I had been worried about not having a big enough stock of 'botty bombs' apparent that that is unlikely to be a problem. My GP called 'to see how things were going' first contact since he referred me for biopsy told him about the lower back pain and he prescribed me Codine and Paracetamol - which seems to be doing the trick. Also reported the discomfort to during my weekly review call but they didn't seem to think it was anything to do with the zapping. 

Week 4 (zaps 15-19)
Again not much more to talk about save to not that Imodium has become a regular part of my existence - my advice get lots of Imodium you are going to need it. Other than that not a lot to report other than my Thursday appointment 1645 didn't happen until after 1800 (cumulative delays again) Other than that more of the same fatigue a bit noticeable - by 1900 I want my pit.

Edited by member 16 Aug 2023 at 14:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 20:57

Hi Flygidz,

They certainly put you through your paces.

Hope things go more smoothly from here on.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 20:57

Hi Flygidz,

They certainly put you through your paces.

Hope things go more smoothly from here on.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 07 Aug 2023 at 15:08

My original plan was to post a half-time report....but it's a bit delayed - I was overtaken by events and so this is a bit later than planned. So here it is my radio-ga-ga half time report.

Week one (zaps 1-4)

There's not a lot to tell you about this one it was more about fine tuning the fluid intake and timing before heading to QA as I mentioned earlier about a 40 minute drive from Casa Flygidz (actually a bit quicker than that in the mornings - once the school holidays kicked in ironically it tends to take longer in the middle of the day - could that be due the the greater number of caravans and campers on the road later on....you be the judge!) The bottom line is I have found that for morning zaps if I have my good morning cup of mint tea (I get up quite early (0430-0500) to knock off a couple of hours work before Mrs Flygidz surfaces) my normal first cuppa and hello world coffee (keeping in mud for the latter two I have an enormous mug) supplemented by 600ml consumed enroute to QA I'm pretty good to go - if I get over full I can ease springs and still be 'recycled' and at optimum capacity within 10 minutes. For later in the day zaps I just keep topping up which is a bit of a bore (another good reason why morning zaps are better more of that later).  Overall, a smooth week.

Week 2 (Zaps 5-9) 

If week one was smooth week two was rather more bumpy and something of a learning curve. Remember back in school when they told you read the question? Yep a trap I fell into lesson one from week two was read the appointment sheet properly when you get it - see my mistake was lodging in my brain the mantra all zappings will take place Monday to Friday - with the exception of Bank holidays...so consequently I thought to myself "no Bank Hols ergo nothing to think about"....wrong turns out one of my zaps for week two wasn't on the Fri but rather the Saturday which I would have realised if I'd taken the trouble to read the slot sheet properly instead of after I drove to QA for the appointment that wasn't. 
The week's second and third lessons came in the form of getting into panic stations about being late because of a traffic jam  prang on the A27 as it turned out.  I have a pathological hatred of being late - military up bringing you see? On time is 10 minutes early etc etc so stress levels mount - the other thing that mounted was the stress level of my bladder what I thought was my carefully crafted prep regime was revealing its rather fundamental flaw...delays are painful - in the end having come off the 27 I was navigating the back doubles (slowly...everyone else had the same idea) Push eventually came to shove and I made a pit stop nipping down a coveinient alley to ease springs.  So what did I learn 1) they are used to it when I phoned zap land from the traffic jam I was told not to worry about it to check in when I arrived - to be honest I thought this would result in a long wait - turns out it didn't.  Second to dig out the 'little John" - a sort of bedpan affair I had from years ago when building flight time cross-country flying in small aircraft ( I couldn't find it too many years, and too many house moves) but I did improvise a solution.
The fourth lesson is later in the day means delays - An adult life spent in airports has revealed that the later in the day a flight is scheduled the more likely it is to be delayed (and especially if you are going home) so it proved with zapping too with the latest scheduled zap of the fist half at 1730 not happening until 1815.

On then to side effects: nothing particularly interesting a little 'instant sunshine burn/rash' but not that irritating and a strange slightly wobbly weird feeling - like the feeling when you are hungry and have a bit of a sugar crash from about 5 mins post zap but usually gone within the hour. Also beginning to experience a bit of discomfort/pain in lower back - which is controllable with ibruprophen 

Week 3 (zaps 10-14)
Nothing particularly interesting to add everything ran to time or even a little ahead - I pitch up early and usually get seen not that long after arrival so I recommend it book in early get out quicker. Side effects much the same but more so and just the beginnings of things getting looser (I had been worried about not having a big enough stock of 'botty bombs' apparent that that is unlikely to be a problem. My GP called 'to see how things were going' first contact since he referred me for biopsy told him about the lower back pain and he prescribed me Codine and Paracetamol - which seems to be doing the trick. Also reported the discomfort to during my weekly review call but they didn't seem to think it was anything to do with the zapping. 

Week 4 (zaps 15-19)
Again not much more to talk about save to not that Imodium has become a regular part of my existence - my advice get lots of Imodium you are going to need it. Other than that not a lot to report other than my Thursday appointment 1645 didn't happen until after 1800 (cumulative delays again) Other than that more of the same fatigue a bit noticeable - by 1900 I want my pit.

Edited by member 16 Aug 2023 at 14:20  | Reason: Not specified