I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

36, confirmed & anxious

User
Posted 06 Jul 2023 at 13:28

So I’ve just had my cystoscopy and it’s confirmed that I have an enlarged prostate. I had it in the back of my mind that my symptoms ( which started 18 months ago) were prostate related however, due to my age, I kept getting knocked back with different potential causes. 
Over the past 6 months I’ve had various tests, scans etc which took me to the cystoscopy +/- optical urethrotomy , under general anaesthetic, 2 days ago. I’ve been diagnosed and had a metal dilation as part of the procedure. Now I’m being prescribed tamsulosin long term. I’m genuinely worried about how this will effect my physical sexual being as well as my mental well-being. I’ve heard various stories surrounding the drug and honestly I’m petrified as I have no one my age or in my friend circle to talk to about this. Thank you 

Edited by member 06 Jul 2023 at 18:44  | Reason: Change of subject

User
Posted 06 Jul 2023 at 14:58
My husband had a similar diagnosis at 35 and had a drug equivalent to tamsulosin for years without problem - it just meant that he had better quality sleep and fewer cramping episodes. I hope you feel less scared once you are having the treatment and seeing the benefit
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Jul 2023 at 15:01

Sorry you've been diagnosed with enlarged prostate so young. Just to avoid any doubt, enlarged prostate is nothing to do with prostate cancer and doesn't mean you're at increased risk of prostate cancer.

Millions of men are on Tamsulosin long term, and most have no side effects at all. If you do get any unacceptable side effects, there are some other alpha blockers you can try instead.

The two main side effects are reduced blood pressure, and retrograde ejaculation (where some or all of your semen is ejaculated backwards into the bladder).