Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Puss discharge around catheter

User
Posted 10 Jul 2023 at 08:42

Hello good folk

I had a RARP two weeks ago and am not due to have my catheter removed until this coming Thursday which seems a long time to me. I have had some occasional solid matter, often pink in colour, travel down the tube and have been re-assured that this is normal. However I now have a nuisance irritating itch in my urethra and some slight pussy discharge from around the outside of the catheter. I’m vexed that I have to wait a further three days before I can get the tube removed and move back into the realms of some normality. 
Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the outcome?

Thank you in advance. 

User
Posted 10 Jul 2023 at 10:23

B , I would try and speak to the ward that discharged you. You could have an infection. I have used the anesthetic antiseptic and lubrication gels in the past, but you really need to get medical advice. Are you keeping the end of the penis and catheter clean ? If you can't get through to the ward or your GP, try 111.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 10 Jul 2023 at 10:34

Thanks Chris

yes I think I’m keeping it clean enough down there. 
As for speaking to my GP. The waiting list is too long. 
I’ll give the ward a call. Again. 

Best regards

Alan

User
Posted 10 Jul 2023 at 11:43
It was stressed to me on many occasions that the catheter tube needed to be kept sterile - never touched with the hands and wiped down with antiseptic whenever a bag was emptied or changed. It does sound as though you have an infection that needs some treatment (and possibly antibiotics).
User
Posted 10 Jul 2023 at 12:11

I had a discharge from around the catheter. Basically green and yellow. I rang my assigned clinical nurse who said it was normal. The catheter irritates the penis it would seem and the discharge is the result. You are right to get it checked out though.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2023 at 13:11

Thanks Jim

Im now sitting in Urology day care waiting, hopefully to have the catheter removed. 
🤞