Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Next Steps ?

User
Posted 18 Jul 2023 at 11:18

Hi,

I don't often post here, but do read everyday for useful information.

My Husband diagnosed nearly five years ago. GL 9 PSA 320, already metastatic to bones (3 mets) started on Chemo/Bicalutimide, which brought PSA down to 1.5. Then on to Abi 2.5 yrs ago when PSA started climbing again .Given  MRI scan, X rays etc..along the way.

PSA started to increase in Sept 22, and has continued to rise on average 1.5 per month, now standing at 16.7. Has not had a Pet scan, (apparently those are only used for 'curable' cancer ???) Not had any radiation , that will only be given for pain relief. 

Our OC says when PSA climbs to 20-25then chemo. Although my Husband did really well with hardly any side effects, we don't really want chemo again

My question is, is there any one on this site that has got Metastatic PC, and been offered any different treatment on the NHS , that might benefit  my husband. 

We are even contemplating getting a private consultation, but not sure how well that would go down with our OC. 

Any thought would be appreciated.

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 00:22
There isn't really much else once abiraterone fails. You could ask about Radium 223 but this doesn't really treat the prostate cancer, it just treats the bone mets and unfortunately, for some people, the side effects are quite bad - it can increase the bone pain rather than improve it.

You could also ask about Lutetium 177 but a) you would need to find a hospital that offers it and might have to go overseas for that b) he would need to be tested to check that he is PSMA+ and c) there is an international shortage of Lutetium at the moment which means hardly anyone can get treatment.

I think the reality is that if your husband does not want to do chemo again, the doctors will talk to him about palliative / end of life care as there isn't really anything else to offer.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard