I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Zoladex and Hot Flushes

User
Posted 18 Jul 2023 at 15:45

Hi all, had a RP three years ago, psa very low after op. Began to rise a little and end of ‘22, consult suggested Zoladex, have had three sessions and the side effects have been hot flushes. Has anyone else suffered these, and has anyone got any suggestions as how to manage them ?

User
Posted 18 Jul 2023 at 17:36

Hi Wooders, I cannot say for definite but I'm on Decapeptyl which also gives you hot flushes as a side effect also, some people say try sage tablets, counting through the flush going for a walk somewhere cool or a cold flannel on the neck and wrists, myself I've been on hormone treatment for nearly 4 years and they do seem to decrease in intensity or I've just got used to them
Best of luck with finding a way to cope
Cheers

Edited by member 18 Jul 2023 at 17:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jul 2023 at 17:48
Hi airyarris

Thanks for the suggestion, tried Turmeric, no change so I’ll give Sage a go 👍

User
Posted 18 Jul 2023 at 18:41
I was on Zoladex for 3yrs and suffered most of the side effects, tho for me it was primary treatment, no op etc.

I had hot flushes day and night and I was fortunate to benefit from acupuncture sessions that really helped ease the 'heat' significantly.

I'd read somewhere that acupuncture helped so I asked at local Maggies who gaveme details of a Holistic cancer treatment centre near me and they were excellent. Had to obtain confirmation for them from gp, understandably, that I was receiving treatment. People also recommend Sage tabs, tho I never tried them as, for me, acupuncture done the job.

Peter

User
Posted 18 Jul 2023 at 21:56

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi all, had a RP three years ago, psa very low after op. Began to rise a little and end of ‘22, consult suggested Zoladex, have had three sessions and the side effects have been hot flushes. Has anyone else suffered these, and has anyone got any suggestions as how to manage them ?

Has your consultant suggested any treatment for what appears to be recurrence? Have you had any scans? How long are you supposed to be on Zoladex?  Zoladex does nothing to cure cancer, it only puts things on hold. You would appear to need treatment for a recurrence and the most likely option would be radiotherapy.

At night, I'd suggest you keep your bed spreads etc to a minimum so you're slightly cool rather than warm to start with. You might find you can have something at the foot of the bed to pull up late in the night if you get cold. Hot flushes are a pest but you get used to them to some extent.

Jules

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 15:49
My Zoladex night sweats are bad and I am awoken several times each night. I have tried most of the suggested remedies - evening primrose, sage, and acupuncture but nothing helped. Apart from keeping as cool as possible at night, I have a large pedestal fan positioned at the foot of my bed plugged into a remote control socket and keep the zapper under my pillow so that there is minimal disturbance when the sweats strike and I can blast myself with a stream of cool air. My sleep is still disturbed but I can cool down fairly quickly.
User
Posted 02 Oct 2023 at 10:56

Hi Wooders,

if you’ve read my journey you will see that I’ve had just about every side effect on the planet…except fatigue!
anyway for hot flushes I have tried many things as below.

Sage…don’t think it made any difference

Acupuncture….did help but not completely.

Vitamin E….this was recommended by the ED nurse for my ED but it has made a HUGE difference to my sweats🤷🏼‍♂️. I do still get them but not nearly as bad and not nearly as often.

Bedside fan..,..
ELZO USB Desk Fan, 5000mAh Mini Clip Fan, Auto Oscillating, 360° Rotation Rechargeable Stepless Speed, Super Quiet Portable Fan for Office Stroller Car Camping Travel, Black https://amzn.eu/d/2SlGv2ZThis fan is stepless which means you can turn it right down. It sits on my bedside table and I switch it on and off as needed. Sometimes it’s on all night without a problem.  When on low it’s very quiet so doesn’t disturb my wife.

Pocket fan which I carry with me…when I remember(brain fog side effect!)
Jhua Handheld Mini Fan Portable Folding Pocket Fan USB Rechargeable Desk Fan Small Travel Fans for Home, Travel, Camping,2 Speeds,Pink https://amzn.eu/d/g0Kj1sF
This is a great wee rechargeable fan….😊

Cool Gel pillow..keeps your face nice and cool in bed.
KAYMAN 2 x Reusable Cooling Gel Pads | Multifunction Gel Cushion Pillows for Absorbs, Dissipates Heat, and Sports Injuries | Improves Sleep Quality and Reducing Night Sweats - 40x50cm Jelly Inlays https://amzn.eu/d/eNEjGLt

I Hope maybe one of these suggestions might help you get through this.

Good Luck!

Derek

User
Posted 02 Oct 2023 at 11:10

Decho, following your suggestion I have been taking daily vitamin E for about ten days now but with no relief. Is this a slow burn (sorry for the pun) fix for the night sweats?