I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any feedback?

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 13:44

Hello again - I had my RALP last Tuesday (11th July) and came home the next day. I have now had the catheter out, feel more human, bit sore but bruising receding. continence hit and miss but getting out for short walks every day.

I did not want to resort to scary Dr Google so thought people on here would be better to ask. I had G8 on one side of my prostate and PNI. The plan was to remove my prostate, the nerves on the left and lots of lymph nodes. However, my surgeon said that once she got going she found that my whole prostate was 'hard' so removed it along with nerves on both sides. She said my seminal vesicles 'didn't look good' so removed them and said that my periprostatic fat was harder that she would expect so took much more of it away than she was expecting...along with all of my lymph nodes. The whole thing took four and a half hours.

So.......can anybody let me know if all the above new info changes the way this might all pan out? I won't see the histology report until 23rd August which feels a long way away!!!

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 14:35
It's very hard for anyone to give you much information as it very much depends on the histology report - but it sounds as though you ended up having something very similar to the RARP procedure - that removes the prostate, seminal vesicules and the lymph nodes.

4.5 hours is typical of the RARP - mine was just under 5 hours.

So until the report comes back to determine what parts had cancer then it's pure guesswork. What I would say is that if, like me, the cancer had spread outside of the prostate, then RT remains an option.
Have you had a post-op PSA blood test yet?
User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 17:07

They docs asked me to have the post-op PSA test on 21st August - two days before my appointment. So until then I feel a bit in the dark! 

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 17:21
Yes, I just checked my notes and the PSA was just before the consult with the histology report - 6 weeks after the procedure.

Unfortunately it's a waiting game which isn't nice. At least they have removed the mothership so now it's just a case of seeing what followups are needed.
Although my hist results were not what I hoped for, my PSA was <0.01 and so the consultant doesn't want to see me again for 6 months.
User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 17:25

Thanks Steve - I will keep my fingers crossed!!!