I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Has anybody had a Retzius-Sparing Radical Prostatectomy

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 21:09

I got pestered by a friend who'd had a Prostate scare into having a PSA test way back in March this year and to cut a long story short I've got prostate cancer with a Gleason score of 8 but luckily all the scans etc indicate it is still contained within the prostate itself.

When I had the verbal results of the bone scan I told them I'd have a Prostatectomy (Da Vinci Robot) , I'm still waiting for any word as to what the next step is... ( I'm certain they use smoke signals for communication) 

Thanks to Google I found out about the "Retzius-Sparing Radical Prostatectomy",  I'm a 62 year old type 1 diabetic so erectile dysfunction doesn't bother me (too much) but incontinence does !

So has anybody had such surgery & what was the results ?

User
Posted 22 Jul 2023 at 17:45

sorry to read about your diagnosis.

I had Retzius sparing and found this thread by TechGuy very helpful

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t22898-My-Retzius-sparing-RARP--NeuroSAFE-journey

Its very important to get a good high volume surgeon if you can. 

Both TechGuy and I had ours done at the Guys cancer clinic London Bridge hospital . My surgeon (we are not allowed to name them apparently)  is the top guy at Royal marsden and TechGuy had the professorwhocannotbenamed. A little research and you will find them. 

Its not pleasant but completely bearable and if you get it early good outcomes are common. I had no incontinence and whilst i do suffer a little ED I use caverject injections on the night which makes you feel like a teenager again. 

Best of Luck

User
Posted 22 Jul 2023 at 00:23

Guildford, Reading, some London hospitals, Lister (I think), and other hospitals have surgeons who do Retzius sparing, but also have surgeons who don't do it - it's down to the surgeon. I'm not familiar with surgeons up north.

It tends to give better continence sooner, but after a year, the results are the same.

Edited by member 22 Jul 2023 at 00:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Jul 2023 at 13:36
There is a surgeon in Liverpool area who does Retzius-sparing - a member here had it although I can't remember who
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 23:53

My brother in law had Retzius-Sparing Radical Prostatectomy earlier in the year, at a hospital in Guildford.  With respect to incontinence,  he was dry from day one from when the catheter was removed.

He had also been told to stop all caffeine and alcohol intake for 3 weeks prior to surgery and for 3 months post operation.

Also he had regularly did Pelvic floor exercises too before and post surgery.

P.

User
Posted 21 Jul 2023 at 20:07

I've now been given a date to see my consultant, I'll see if the option is available in my area.

User
Posted 22 Jul 2023 at 00:23

Guildford, Reading, some London hospitals, Lister (I think), and other hospitals have surgeons who do Retzius sparing, but also have surgeons who don't do it - it's down to the surgeon. I'm not familiar with surgeons up north.

It tends to give better continence sooner, but after a year, the results are the same.

Edited by member 22 Jul 2023 at 00:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Jul 2023 at 13:36
There is a surgeon in Liverpool area who does Retzius-sparing - a member here had it although I can't remember who
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Jul 2023 at 17:45

sorry to read about your diagnosis.

I had Retzius sparing and found this thread by TechGuy very helpful

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t22898-My-Retzius-sparing-RARP--NeuroSAFE-journey

Its very important to get a good high volume surgeon if you can. 

Both TechGuy and I had ours done at the Guys cancer clinic London Bridge hospital . My surgeon (we are not allowed to name them apparently)  is the top guy at Royal marsden and TechGuy had the professorwhocannotbenamed. A little research and you will find them. 

Its not pleasant but completely bearable and if you get it early good outcomes are common. I had no incontinence and whilst i do suffer a little ED I use caverject injections on the night which makes you feel like a teenager again. 

Best of Luck