I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Delays in diagnosis of prostrate cancer

User
Posted 21 Jul 2023 at 16:01

I recently had a PSA done which came out at 18. This was as a result of urinary symptoms. However when it was done I did have a urinary tract infection which was subsequently treated.

I was sent for a MRI which was reported as pyrad 3. I was then sent for a Transperineal biopsy which was supposed to happen on the 26 th July. However this has just been cancelled and I am now booked in for the 16 th August. Needless to say I am extremely stressed by the delay. Has anyone else experienced similar delays.

User
Posted 21 Jul 2023 at 16:01

I recently had a PSA done which came out at 18. This was as a result of urinary symptoms. However when it was done I did have a urinary tract infection which was subsequently treated.

I was sent for a MRI which was reported as pyrad 3. I was then sent for a Transperineal biopsy which was supposed to happen on the 26 th July. However this has just been cancelled and I am now booked in for the 16 th August. Needless to say I am extremely stressed by the delay. Has anyone else experienced similar delays.

User
Posted 21 Jul 2023 at 20:38

Hi Scotia,

Sorry that you find yourself here.  As Lyn has said, the waiting period for tests is the most anxious, because you just want to know what's what.  The delay might possibly be due to bad luck in getting caught up in the doctor's pay strike (?), but that's no help to you.

If you can try to distract yourself as much as possible with activities - getting out and about, or anything that will require concentration and take your mind off it, it might help.

Take good care of yourself.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Jul 2023 at 18:51
The PI-RADS 3 means that there may be some cancer or there may not. The PSA is high but we have had men on here with PSA of 80 who subsequently got the all clear. Prostate cancer moves very slowly so the delay in biopsy won’t make any difference although I appreciate that it is quite stressful waiting for the next step.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 21 Jul 2023 at 20:38

Hi Scotia,

Sorry that you find yourself here.  As Lyn has said, the waiting period for tests is the most anxious, because you just want to know what's what.  The delay might possibly be due to bad luck in getting caught up in the doctor's pay strike (?), but that's no help to you.

If you can try to distract yourself as much as possible with activities - getting out and about, or anything that will require concentration and take your mind off it, it might help.

Take good care of yourself.

Best wishes,

JedSee.