I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Penile swelling post RP

User
Posted 28 Jul 2023 at 17:50

Quick question- my husband is getting a bit concerned about a big blister like swelling on one side of his penis. His RP was on 23/7/23. It looks as if it’s filled with fluid and is growing. Having done a bit of Googling it seems that swelling of testicles and/or penis is a fairly common side effect. Catheter removed 🤞Monday so he can ask about it then but a bit of reassurance from you more experienced members would help to reduce his anxiety this weekend.  Thnx 

User
Posted 01 Aug 2023 at 12:52

Thanks Steve, really helpful advice. I will pass it on 👍 he did do his pelvic floor exercises religiously c/o the nhs Squeezy app for 3 months before surgery so hopefully this will help in the long run. 

User
Posted 01 Aug 2023 at 09:00
Glad the swelling has gone down and yes, it will take several weeks to get good control - after 10 weeks or so I am about 95% - sneezing still causes a dribble but nighttime is dry and just one pad during the day.

He needs to practice the kegal exercises and stop/start his pee flow when urinating. It just takes time and get him to go to the loo regularly and not leave it to the last second.

Pee flow might be slow for a week or so while the sutures heal and he might pass bits of 'debris' occasionally - all perfectly normal.

If he doesn't feel that it is improving after a couple of weeks, then seek out a physiotherapist who deals with incontinence as they can help ensure he is working the correct muscles.

Good luck

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Jul 2023 at 18:59

I have had a couple of issues following urology treatment. On one occasion my urethra inside the penis was punctured, this resulted in the whole penis swelling up as urine got into the soft tissue of the penis,it was also very painful.

On two other occasions the foreskin was not pulled back over the head of the penis. The foreskin swelled up like a balloon. The remedy for that was applying an ice pack or a bag of frozen peas to the penis. Once the swelling went down lubrication was applied to the head and foreskin and pulled back over the head.

In your position I would be ringing the ward that discharged him and asking for advice.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 28 Jul 2023 at 19:06

Hi KD,

Post op my scrotum was the size of a large grapefruit, but I did not have any swelling on my penis.

Might be worth phoning your hospital urology department for advice. 

Otherwise, hopefully someone else will see this and comment. 

Kev.

User
Posted 28 Jul 2023 at 19:19

Thanks Kev - perhaps we better had phone but I’ll see if anyone else can shed  any light first👍

User
Posted 28 Jul 2023 at 19:21

Right ok Chris- it does look like there might be urine trapped in there - it’s not painful at the moment but guess we need to be careful. Thank you for your advice 

User
Posted 01 Aug 2023 at 07:29

Swelling has gone down and the nurse yesterday wasn’t worried about it. Phew! Catheter now out but OH struggling with the lack of control. I’m reminding him it’s very early days and it can take weeks n months to improve.

Hoping for as trouble free few weeks as possible until we get the results and finally know what we are dealing with. X

User
Posted 01 Aug 2023 at 09:00
Glad the swelling has gone down and yes, it will take several weeks to get good control - after 10 weeks or so I am about 95% - sneezing still causes a dribble but nighttime is dry and just one pad during the day.

He needs to practice the kegal exercises and stop/start his pee flow when urinating. It just takes time and get him to go to the loo regularly and not leave it to the last second.

Pee flow might be slow for a week or so while the sutures heal and he might pass bits of 'debris' occasionally - all perfectly normal.

If he doesn't feel that it is improving after a couple of weeks, then seek out a physiotherapist who deals with incontinence as they can help ensure he is working the correct muscles.

Good luck

User
Posted 01 Aug 2023 at 12:52

Thanks Steve, really helpful advice. I will pass it on 👍 he did do his pelvic floor exercises religiously c/o the nhs Squeezy app for 3 months before surgery so hopefully this will help in the long run.