I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chemo to RT

User
Posted 30 Jul 2023 at 08:58

Received 5 of 6 chemo treatments. 2 weeks in hospital... Temperature spiking and not well. Did not help that one Dr stopped my steroid medication with no reduction. I did question this. Also in week 2 said I had low hemoglobin which further explained breathlessness and being completely knackered!! They gave me a unit of blood just over a week ago.

I came home on the 21st July still not right but returning to work tomorrow on a phased return?

Final chemotherapy treatment cancelled. We did a CT scan whilst I was an in patient. Consultant was positive about results the cancer on lymph node is very reduced. PSA was < 0.1.

Should start RT in 4 to 6 weeks... Any comments or advice regarding this would be great. Obviously a cure would be nice but failing that and current track record of PSA rising 6 months after surgery what time line might be likely for the merry go round starting up again? 🙂

I hope this finds you all positive ( some times faking it 🙃). 

Jellies... If you read this... How are you? 

Take care All. 

Mike 

User
Posted 01 Aug 2023 at 09:44

Hi Mike

Well done on getting through five rounds of chemo.  I managed to finish 6 rounds but after that I thought I was recovering but also caught an infection. Like you I ended up back in hospital for a week to get my temperature down.  It is just random chance that I didn’t get the infection during chemo like you.  But I guess the chemo doing it’s thing can leave the body open to infection.

I finished RT 4 weeks ago.  It was a slog to get through it all and it does get tiring.  You have to get into a routine with drinking water to have your bladder full.  Also they will give you a sheet with foods to avoid.  The process itself is painless and over in a few minutes.  I’m still very tired but I am working from home and yesterday I went for my first very slow run. I’m hoping the fatigue improves but it is taking longer than I thought it would.  Some people seem to recover more quickly so you won’t know till you do it.

On top of that am still on 3 monthly Decapeptyl injections plus daily Erleada (Apalutamide) tablets.   They are probably not helping with general fatigue.  I have monthly blood test reviews with the clinic and next week have a bone scan which will be followed by a CT scan to check everything.  PSA is <0.03 which it has been since going on ADT back in October.  

The way I see it is that I’ve now got no cancer (assuming scans come up negative) but I do have an impact from all the treatments.   For example I have zero sex life which sometimes gets me down.  I’ll also be a lot happier once the post RT fatigue wears off.  But I don’t expect to be back on the merry go round for at least 3 years when there is a decision point about coming off ADT.  If something happens before that I’ll deal with it but it’s not something I worry about.  

Hope that’s helpful and that the next stage of treatment all goes well for you!   

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 16:42

Mike , no experience of chemo so can't help. I frequently scroll down the list for zero reply posts, as some seem to get lost, hopefully someone can help you.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Aug 2023 at 23:07

That's great Jellies, 

It's one thing to know what's going to happen... It's much better hearing it from someone who has gone through it and out the other side!!

I agree, the fatigue is very difficult to live with, I start doing something and just run out of steam part way through ... Its frustrating and you just don't feel like your self.

Anyway I have a one to one with the consultant on the 22nd August so should know more  then.

Glad things looking positive for you... Within certain criteria that is!!

Take care 

Mike 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 16:42

Mike , no experience of chemo so can't help. I frequently scroll down the list for zero reply posts, as some seem to get lost, hopefully someone can help you.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Aug 2023 at 09:44

Hi Mike

Well done on getting through five rounds of chemo.  I managed to finish 6 rounds but after that I thought I was recovering but also caught an infection. Like you I ended up back in hospital for a week to get my temperature down.  It is just random chance that I didn’t get the infection during chemo like you.  But I guess the chemo doing it’s thing can leave the body open to infection.

I finished RT 4 weeks ago.  It was a slog to get through it all and it does get tiring.  You have to get into a routine with drinking water to have your bladder full.  Also they will give you a sheet with foods to avoid.  The process itself is painless and over in a few minutes.  I’m still very tired but I am working from home and yesterday I went for my first very slow run. I’m hoping the fatigue improves but it is taking longer than I thought it would.  Some people seem to recover more quickly so you won’t know till you do it.

On top of that am still on 3 monthly Decapeptyl injections plus daily Erleada (Apalutamide) tablets.   They are probably not helping with general fatigue.  I have monthly blood test reviews with the clinic and next week have a bone scan which will be followed by a CT scan to check everything.  PSA is <0.03 which it has been since going on ADT back in October.  

The way I see it is that I’ve now got no cancer (assuming scans come up negative) but I do have an impact from all the treatments.   For example I have zero sex life which sometimes gets me down.  I’ll also be a lot happier once the post RT fatigue wears off.  But I don’t expect to be back on the merry go round for at least 3 years when there is a decision point about coming off ADT.  If something happens before that I’ll deal with it but it’s not something I worry about.  

Hope that’s helpful and that the next stage of treatment all goes well for you!   

User
Posted 01 Aug 2023 at 23:07

That's great Jellies, 

It's one thing to know what's going to happen... It's much better hearing it from someone who has gone through it and out the other side!!

I agree, the fatigue is very difficult to live with, I start doing something and just run out of steam part way through ... Its frustrating and you just don't feel like your self.

Anyway I have a one to one with the consultant on the 22nd August so should know more  then.

Glad things looking positive for you... Within certain criteria that is!!

Take care 

Mike