I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sudden onset of intermittent pain 4 weeks after surgery

User
Posted 02 Aug 2023 at 16:54

So, I had a robotic prostatectomy with lymph node removal four weeks ago. I've been doing OK symptom wise, just the anticipated continence issues etc. Generally mobile but still taking it easy in terms of lifting etc. Today, whilst just pottering about got a slight ache at the top of my left leg where it meets the groin area. Fairly quickly it got much worse so I sat down for a bit which seemed to help. Once I was back on my feet, the pain came back but a bit worse and took longer to settle down by sitting. Felt a little like muscular pain but subtly different, massaging the area helped a bit. Resting now, having had a couple of paracetamol. Pretty much subsided now, just a very slight discomfort. Will see if it comes back when I'm standing for a bit, but wondered if anyone else had experienced similar symptoms or any suggestions what it might be.

Thanks, John

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 08:39
This is exactly what I had and I visited my GP who sent me first for an echo to check for thrombosis which came back negative, and then for a CT scan that diagnosed a 5cm x 8cm lymphocele on the left hand side - there was a small one on the right.

They took me in to hospital and drained the lymphocele inside the CT scanner, taking 60ml and leaving a bag in overnight that drained another 110ml. Released the next day and it has been fine since.

The surgeon said that the righthand side one was pretty typical post RARP and would fix itself.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 09:45

Thanks Steve, that's really useful to know. I did wonder if it was something to do with the lymph node removal as I vaguely remember someone along this rollercoaster journey talking about it. I'm due a call from the urology nurse later, so will mention it.

Cheers, John

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 10:03

John, I have seen nerve damage mentioned as a possible cause of pain. Of course if in doubt get medical advice.

Thanks Chris 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 08:39
This is exactly what I had and I visited my GP who sent me first for an echo to check for thrombosis which came back negative, and then for a CT scan that diagnosed a 5cm x 8cm lymphocele on the left hand side - there was a small one on the right.

They took me in to hospital and drained the lymphocele inside the CT scanner, taking 60ml and leaving a bag in overnight that drained another 110ml. Released the next day and it has been fine since.

The surgeon said that the righthand side one was pretty typical post RARP and would fix itself.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 09:45

Thanks Steve, that's really useful to know. I did wonder if it was something to do with the lymph node removal as I vaguely remember someone along this rollercoaster journey talking about it. I'm due a call from the urology nurse later, so will mention it.

Cheers, John

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 10:03

John, I have seen nerve damage mentioned as a possible cause of pain. Of course if in doubt get medical advice.

Thanks Chris