I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Intermittent fasting

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 10:30

Does anyone have any views on the concept of intermittent fasting as an accompaniment to radiation and HT?

V

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 11:35

Radiation, just like surgery, does lots of damage the body needs to heal from, although at a microscopic level. I've never seen any data on it, but I suspect you need more food for healing during and for perhaps 4-6 weeks afterwards. People are often slightly anemic during this time, so foods with iron content might be beneficial, and protein to repair body tissues.

Other than during and immediately after radiotherapy, you do need to be careful with calorie consumption when on hormone therapy.

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 12:41

During RT you don't want to gain or loose weight. They plan the scan based on where the prostate is in your body. If you loose weight it will move.

Trying to loose weight after RT but whilst on HT is probably a good idea.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 13:02

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
During RT you don't want to gain or loose weight. They plan the scan based on where the prostate is in your body. If you loose weight it will move.

Someone having RT same time as me was losing weight. He was told to eat more cakes and biscuits.

I made a note of my weight at the planning scan. I was recording my weight daily anyway, to monitor what the hormone therapy did to it. My breakfast size was adjusted each day according to being over/under my scan weight. It varied from -1.1kg to +0.7kg compared with the scan day. Actually, I was trying to maintain not just total body weight, but also fat/muscle ratio. Probably OTT, but maybe every little thing helps a bit with treatment effectiveness and minimising side effects.

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 15:35

Thanks I am now three months after RT and keen to shed the weight that o have put on with the HT 

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 18:12

I am on a Herbalife Nutrition course of 2 Protein shakes a day and a normal meal at night. Cutting out alcohol except for the odd occasion like tonight following my good PSA results. Snacks are also Herbalife snack bars which are very nice. I’ve done it before successfully so will be interested to see how it goes when on HT. I am 3 months since finishing RT and have put on 8Kg since then, which I’m not happy about. Follow my journey for updates ….

Edited by member 17 Aug 2023 at 18:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 18:27

I'm not on hormones nor had RT.   My minimal Intermittent Fasting is not to eat after 7pm until breakfast which is usually 8pm or later.  It's a very mild version that I can easily live with.  No use doing things you can't keep up.

If you're trying to lose weight try cutting out saturated fat.  It's amazing how much there is in many foods especially ready made food.  20grammes a day should be the max, and down to 12g if you can. 

Also banning cakes and biscuits from the house.  I lost 7kg during lock down after a high cholesterol reading just before.   This is also something I can easily live with.

User
Posted 19 Aug 2023 at 14:13

Decho

Really interested to hear of your diet plan. It's got to be the way forward. I too had put on 8kg, of which I have now shed 6kg but still not happy. It's got to be the HT. 

I also note in a different post your comment about knees. Snap. I sometimes can hardly stand. As this was never previously an issue, I put it down to HT.

V

User
Posted 19 Aug 2023 at 14:15

Hi Peter

That intermittent fast is a bit tame for me. I would prefer to do 8pm till noon the following day. As for saturated fats, you are so right.

Thanks

V