I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

No Significant Cancer

User
Posted 18 Aug 2023 at 14:06

My husband's PSA is rising, although a biopsy last year ruled out cancer.  We dug out the letter from the hospital that we got last year and re read it.

"We are writing to inform you that your recent investigations have shown no evidence of clinically significant prostate cancer. In line with current NHS guidelines' no further investigations are required at this time and you have been removed from the urgent two-week-wait pathway.

However, no test is perfect, and there is a risk that the tests are falsely reassuring.  Therefore, we recommend regular PSA blood testing at your GP practice and if your PSA blood test gives cause for concern, we have asked your GP to refer you back to us as described  below. 

PSA Blood test Annually

GP to re-refer if: >9.6"

Due to the doctor strikes we never got to discuss his results with anyone as his appointment was cancelled and they never rebooked it.

Have made an appointment with the GP but wondered if the phasing of this letter means he has a clinically insignificant cancer.

Edited by member 18 Aug 2023 at 17:34  | Reason: spelling

User
Posted 01 Sep 2023 at 06:28

The letter indicates that the initial biopsy ruled out clinically significant prostate cancer. However, it also highlights the limitations of tests and the potential for false reassurances. YourTexasBenefits Login

Edited by member 04 Sep 2023 at 05:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Sep 2023 at 09:16

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Have made an appointment with the GP but wondered if the phasing of this letter means he has a clinically insignificant cancer.

Around 55% of 55 year old men have prostate cancer, the vast majority of which is clinically insignificant - they'll never know they have it, and it will never cause any problems.

From age 40 upwards, the percentage of men with prostate cancer is the same as their age. Mostly this is clinically insignificant. Part of the art of diagnosing prostate cancer is identifying those which are clinically significant, i.e. might need treating.

User
Posted 14 Sep 2023 at 07:55

The ratio of 55% is too high. Is there any way we can minimize it?  

Edited by member 14 Sep 2023 at 07:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Sep 2023 at 10:48

Thanks for sharing. It's so helpful for me. Sharp Follow My Health

Edited by member 19 Sep 2023 at 05:57  | Reason: Not specified