Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA results no change

User
Posted 19 Aug 2023 at 08:08

Hello all,

My OH finished his radiotherapy treatment in April for PCa T3a Gleason 6. Prior to treatment his PSA level was 3.51 this then dropped to 0.77 in May following treatment. The oncologist was expecting this to be lower, he has just had his next round of tests ready to see the oncologist again and it’s remained the same at 0.77.

I appreciate it has come down a lot since initial diagnosis but we do we need to be concerned it hasn’t dropped any lower? 

Would really welcome any thoughts.

Thank you

Nic

User
Posted 19 Aug 2023 at 10:53

My first thought is: why is that number identical to two decimal places. I would say there is more chance that this is a clerical error in getting the results to you. For example if he phoned the GP and said "What's my latest PSA?" The reply would be "0.77" if the results from his latest test were not on the system. Have you seen the results on a printout and checked the dates? 

I made a very similar post on another thread, about a year ago, and after checking the OP found the results were the same in that case to three decimal places, so I have been wrong in the past with this line of argument.

My second thought is: why has he had any tests, let alone two of them if he only finished RT in May 2023? Any test within six months of RT is unreliable.

The effects of RT continue for about 18 months, with the possibility of a PSA bounce, it is possible the latest test coincided with a PSA bounce.

Most people on this site who have had a reliable test post RT report figures less than 0.5 . So yes his PSA seems a little high, but I don't think you should be concerned at this stage. Of course his medical team are the people who need to interpret these results not some random guy on the internet.

Dave

User
Posted 19 Aug 2023 at 11:17

Nic, it might help to list treatments and tests in chronological order, back in January you report a result of 0.11.

I have had identical tests results 4 months apart and frequently a change of only 0.01. 

Thanks Chris