I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Losing hope with my dad

User
Posted 22 Aug 2023 at 12:58

Hello everyone. First of all, thank you so much because without knowing it, you have been helping me during the last months from afar (Spain).

My dad was unfortunately diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer in August 2021. His Gleason score was 4+5, that indicating aggressive cancer. That was a really tough time for me and my family but radiotherapy and hormonal treatment went very well (or at least that's what I thought).

On June this year, my father started to feel ache in his spine and had difficulty making some moves. He visited the hospital several times, but radiographers didn't show any lessions until his oncologist tested again his PSA (which rose to 2.46) and ordered a gammagraphy. This time they could assessed the existence of bone damage produced by metastases. The report also tells about some small nodules in the liver and left lung, although the oncologist told my parents to not worry about. However,  they are suspicious for more metastases as the clinical category of my father is CPRC M1c (Prostate Cancer Resistant to Castration with metastases both in bones and viscera). He is currently on hormonal treatment and started taking enzalutamide. He  has also been offered to participate in clinical trials as well as to make him a genetic profile.

I searched on the Internet (bad idea I know) and I realised that the life expectancy for my dad during the next 5 years is really low. I had hope for a while but now I am devastated. 

User
Posted 22 Aug 2023 at 23:05

Hello Iraida,

Sorry to read about your father.  I'm not particularly knowledgeable  about this subject, but this comment will stop your post from dropping out of view.  I think some people may be on holiday.

How old is your father and how fit is he.  There are quite a number of new treatments appearing every year and there are more existing treatments that can follow.

There can be reluctance to treat as much if they think there are more problem areas but if there are only a few they sometimes try treatments direct to the lesion with for example HIFU..  It might be optimistic but you could look into it.  This profile might be useful reading although it's very long so you may need to filter it.  

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/default.aspx?g=profile&u=2428

It might also be optimistic thinking but I'm not sure how certain they can be without a biopsy.

Different people respond differently.  All the best, Peter

Edited by member 22 Aug 2023 at 23:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Aug 2023 at 23:38

Sorry you are here Iraida. There are two types of hormone treatment, one blocks the production of testosterone and the other blocks the take up of testosterone by the cancer cells (I think enzalutamide is the latter type). So he may respond well to enzalutamide, but it may not last too long.

I'm surprised the PSA is still low, for most people with bone mets, and the cancer no longer responding to hormone treatment the PSA is over a hundred and rising rapidly.

A PSMA PET scan may show exactly what is going on, but may not be available in Spain. Palliative radio therapy, can suppress a bone met for a short while.

I think clinical trials are now a good idea. Remember they are trials because they don't know if it will work, so don't expect miracles.

Dave