I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

18 months after successful treatment

User
Posted 22 Aug 2023 at 17:15

My partner is 75 and was successfully treated by RT. His PSA is virtually undetectable, but he feels tired, weary, has trouble remembering things (names, dates) or just finding the right words. He wasn't like this pre-treatment, so are these side effects of the treatment? or . . just getting older?

User
Posted 22 Aug 2023 at 19:03
Hi,

RT can have side effects especially tiredness but your partner should be long over these by now. However, it is common for men to have HT for anything up to 3 years unless they have need of continuing HT due to their advanced staging. Also, it does take time to overcome the effects of HT after it has stopped and generally the longer on HT, the longer the effects last. Apart from the physical side effects such as premature fatigue, aching joints, hot flushes etc., HT can cause a marked change in the personality of some men and partners of some men say he is like a different person. I wouldn't say HT would make him struggle for words which seems to me to be more like the onset of a form of Dementia such as Alzheimers (which sadly my wife has). In any event, he needs to see his GP to arrange for an assessment without delay.

Barry
User
Posted 22 Aug 2023 at 19:26
many thanks Barry - all helpful to have another perspective.