I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rising PSA after 30 months

User
Posted 25 Aug 2023 at 17:47

I thought things were going well until today. Had brachytherapy in Jan 21 after diagnosis of 3+4 in less than 1% of sample tissue and PSA 8.7.

Got down to 2.02 in Jan 22 then bounce to 2.96 by August 22 and down again to 2.4 in Jan 23.

All looking promising I thought, until today when my PSA result is 6.19! I'm due to see consultant next week but have to admit to being concerned. I did notice a slight burning sensation whilst peeing for a few weeks but that went away a couple of weeks ago and wasn't enough for me to seek help. But I'm hoping against hope this may be due to a prostitas or other infection that raised the PSA.

Has anyone had similar occurrences on their journey through PC?

User
Posted 25 Aug 2023 at 20:41

You don't say when next week, but if it's later in the week, you could perhaps arrange to take a urine sample in to your GP for testing. You probably don't need an appointment for this, but just explain to the receptionist you might have a UTI and it's particularly significant for a consultation later in the week - could you bring in a urine sample to be tested? They might say come and pick up a sample bottle first.

Other possibilities... Have you had a COVID vaccination in the previous month, or COVID itself? These can temporarily push up PSA.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2023 at 21:38

Hi Andy, that's an idea. I'll try and get a urine test. Definately not had a civid jab and pretty certain I've not had covid recently.

Thanks for the advice.

User
Posted 26 Aug 2023 at 01:23

Fingers crossed it’s an infection Geoff that can easily be cleared up. The fact you have had some symptoms of that too hopefully is a good sign. Best of luck.

Elaine

User
Posted 26 Aug 2023 at 06:41

Thanks Elaine

User
Posted 27 Aug 2023 at 07:13

Hi,

I had brachytherapy, all seemed fine for 2/3 years but then the PC came back. I am 3b local advanced. What happened is that I insisted on having a scan, which they did not offer at first, and the scan was positive.  So demand a scan. To be positive, they put me back onto Zoladex (Leuprolin, Prostap) and my PSA dropped to less than 1. 

One snag is that if you have already had brachytherapy and the PC comes back they may  refuse you more radiation. That depends, I think on where it is. It my case it has escape a little into the seminal tract and it's  sort of touch and go whether is spreads further.  I am told there are new and  even stronger "chemo".

One additional point is that with the state of the NHS scan's are a sort of scarce currency and staff are overloaded. But don't let that stop you getting one.

Good luck,

Otto

User
Posted 27 Aug 2023 at 14:47
Otto, check out old Barry he had salvage Hifu after a recurrence following radiotherapy in his prostate. Maybe that could be used on your seminal vesicle?
User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 21:01

My consultant put me on antibiotics and a further blood test. This came back yesterday at 7.9, so up another 1.71 in three weeks. Obviously not a UTI!!

I'm now waiting to see if I can get a scan to find out what's going on. 

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 07:38

My advice is to ask for a scan. I think doctors resist because scanners are in short supply and high demand. I demanded a scan when my PSA went up years after my radiation treatment. I was right, the cancer  had came back. See above. If the hospital says no to a scan, or some vague "wait and watch" cop-out then ask your GP to insist. The point is time is of the essence. 

Good luck.

Cheers,

Otto

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 08:51

Thanks Otto. I certainly will be pushing for a scan, especially as PSA has shot up so quickly.

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 09:50

Hi Geoff,

In my case, as I said above, I did have a scan (after asking) and the cancer had returned. Now, every three months I get a PSA test and phone call. My fear is that if PSA has shot up then it may have metastasized, so just in case I will scream for a scan. Because, if the news is bad  they can put me on some of these fancy drugs asap. It's an extreme case of catching it early.

In your case it may have returned, let's hope not, but if so let's hope it's still only local or, as in my case, local advanced. In either case you would need to be back on  Zoladex/Leuprorelin/Prostap, if you are not already.

I could write an essay on the effects of those ****ing drugs, but there seems to be no alternative. Everything they say about them (by that I mean everything you can find on google, not what the doctors warn you about): fatigue, mood changes, tinnitus, light/noise sensitivity, .... is true. 

Typical day:

morning: OK, use it well

afternoon: half zombie, irritable, have a nap.

evening: full zombie (television ....bed by 9.30)

Cheers,

Otto

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 10:05

Thanks Otto,

We are where we are in life aren't we. In the absence of the consultant's reaction I'm holding on to the fact that my original biopsy three months before brachytherapy showed I was 3+4 in less than 1% of sample, and that resulted in my pre op psa of 8.7. On that basis I'm hoping my current surge to 7.9 still might represent a fairly small cancer load. But hey, I'm no doctor so what do I know.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 09:07

I got a PSMA Pet scan last week and have an MRI booked for next week. My Onc has shown me the Pet scan and says there is one lymph node that may be have PCa cells in it but every other part of my body including prostate itself is clear. He needs the MRI to confirm the lymph finding but says my PSA rise could still be a bounce as the original biopsy showed a very low volume (<1%) 3+4, and therefore very unusual for there to be spread before the brachytherapy. He reckons he's seen a PSA of up to 15 in a bounce!

He also gave me some confidence by saying that if the lymph is cancerous they will treat it with radio therapy.

Just got to wait for MRI plus outcome of MDT meeting I guess.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 09:59

Definitely positive Geoff. Let’s hope the consultant is right about the bounce 👍 I would have thought the PSMA could have determined the node being prostate cancer more than the MRI? My understanding is that the tracer would stick to any PSMA positive cells and light it up (no expert of course but would interested if anyone had an explanation).

All sounds really great though, even if it does turn out to be something it will be treated and nothing else has shown up on the scan 👍

User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 10:35

I agree with you Elaine. I've read that PSMA is definitive, but according to the consultant there can be false positives and MRI is used to cross check.

I'll hold on to his assertion that if it cancer in the node it's a very early stage and he's confident it can be zapped!! Watch this space.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 12:20

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I agree with you Elaine. I've read that PSMA is definitive, but according to the consultant there can be false positives and MRI is used to cross check.

I'll hold on to his assertion that if it cancer in the node it's a very early stage and he's confident it can be zapped!! Watch this space.

Yes I suppose with everything in medicine…nothing ever seems to be certain.

And yes definitely hold onto that and keep positive 👍 Rob is about to get zapped in the next month or so, just hoping it blasts anything there away! 

Best of luck with the MRI results x

User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 12:28

I hope it goes well for your Rob, Elaine. I've been told that for everyone involved in PCa it's best to try and see it as a chronic illness rather than cancer. I'm trying to do that but sometimes it isn't that easy.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 13:11

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I hope it goes well for your Rob, Elaine. I've been told that for everyone involved in PCa it's best to try and see it as a chronic illness rather than cancer. I'm trying to do that but sometimes it isn't that easy.

It’s certainly not easy Geoff, the word cancer is just the one we all dread 😢

I feel very lucky that Rob seems to be doing so well though and is fit and healthy (currently on a boys golf trip in Spain). My biggest fears come when he gets twinges or coughs etc….my stomach does a flip! We know so many in more difficult health and well being situations without having cancer, so I try to cling onto the fact that it doesn’t matter what he’s got as long as every day he wakes up looking and feeling good 👍 we can just enjoy the day then 🤞🏼

Take care and keep positive x

User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 14:24

I think waking up every day feeling good and positive  is so important to getting through this ordeal.

Ive had a good week, got my weight under control and went to see my physio about my aching, stiff joints. It was good to hear from him that I have very good strengh(for my age🤣🤣🤣). He has given me a gym routine to help build my muscle strength which I am quite confident will improve things. My wife has been through hell this year so last night I surprised her with an annual membership for the gym…it might sound a strange present for your wife, but she has been looking enviously at me heading off to the gym several times a week and she is absolutely delighted with it.😊

Currently having a new kitchen fitted….I can recommend DIY Kitchens, fantastic quality and price!

So…I keep myself busy and active and it helps keep my mind in a good place!

Derek

User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 14:52

Sounds great Derek, really pleased things are going well and you’re in a good place 👍

I need to take a leaf out of your wife’s book and get myself back to the gym 🤦🏻‍♀️😂 x