I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Trapped wind

User
Posted 28 Aug 2023 at 11:59

Hi all , i had my prostrate removed over 6 mths ago now, but now have terrible wind which gets trapped and causes small level of incontinence ,has anyone else experienced these after affects ?

User
Posted 28 Aug 2023 at 14:37

Since my op nearly a year ago my bowls have definitely not been the same. I had bad colic, bowl movements which would block the toilet and yes trapped wind. I asked the surgeon about this, no nothing to do with the op. Well yes something has definitely changed and it's a bit of a coincidence that it start a few weeks after my op. The clinical nurses were more sympathetic and said that it was likely my body had a bit of a shock and was resetting itself. Might be worth asking your assigned nurse.

User
Posted 30 Aug 2023 at 23:09

Definitely have. My CNS said that bloating, gripes and bowel discomfort are typical symptoms post op. I'm 8 weeks post op and things have settled a bit, but I doubt I'm out of the woods yet.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Aug 2023 at 14:37

Since my op nearly a year ago my bowls have definitely not been the same. I had bad colic, bowl movements which would block the toilet and yes trapped wind. I asked the surgeon about this, no nothing to do with the op. Well yes something has definitely changed and it's a bit of a coincidence that it start a few weeks after my op. The clinical nurses were more sympathetic and said that it was likely my body had a bit of a shock and was resetting itself. Might be worth asking your assigned nurse.

User
Posted 29 Aug 2023 at 08:29
thanks Jim ,my bowel movement are also bowl blocking , i wonder weather the bowl is fighting for the extra space created by removal of the prostrate or its moved stuff around , i will ask nurses , many thanks.nice to know not the only one.
User
Posted 30 Aug 2023 at 23:09

Definitely have. My CNS said that bloating, gripes and bowel discomfort are typical symptoms post op. I'm 8 weeks post op and things have settled a bit, but I doubt I'm out of the woods yet.

User
Posted 31 Aug 2023 at 08:10
i,m 7 months on and still not riht , dont get me wrong its not taht bad but have to be careful and think about what i'm doing !
User
Posted 31 Aug 2023 at 08:50

We're talking about more than one effect here. RT patients are well familiar with the effect of losing the sensation which lets you know if it's solid, liquid, or gas waiting to come out. Your bowel doesn't have nerve endings in it and can't feel what's there, except the last several inches, which is actually formed of normal skin with nerve endings. This is specifically so you can sense the nature of what's waiting to come out, i.e. is it safe to fart? This area is very close to the prostate,  and RT usually stops these nerves working for some months, hence being not safe to fart away from the toilet, not knowing what's going to come out. This effect usually recovers though.

I don't know where those nerves run but it may well be that prostatectomy ends up bruising them, creating the same effect hopefully only temporarily.

As for substantial changes in bowel behaviour... With open prostatectomy, I wouldn't be surprised if your bowel might end up slightly rearranged. In a few people, small intestine does come down close (causes issues for RT planning), but I would be more surprised if this is an issue with RALP.

User
Posted 31 Aug 2023 at 13:02
My bowels have not been the same since my LDR Brachy, no sugery so I still have a prostate, a lot scarred and withered I suspect. Trapped wind is a big problem, and some constipation, Laxido and/or Fybogel helps me, but also avoiding certain foods like sprouts, mushy peas etc. John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01