Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

10 weeks post op - progress ?

User
Posted 02 Sep 2023 at 16:30

Hello all,

Hoping you can let me know your experiences post op and what helped your recovery 

OH had his prostatectomy 10 weeks ago. He has recovered to some degree but is suffering with terrible fatigue. He describes it as swimming through mud 😞

I can see it's starting to get him down.

He's not over doing it - small amount of gentle exercise and part time at work still.

By lunchtime he's exhausted.

Anyone else experience this or have any advice?

Thank you

Vicky

User
Posted 02 Sep 2023 at 21:18
That's not usual - 10 weeks on and apart from a problem with a lymphocele (leg and groin pain) I was feeling chipper. ED and incontinence can get you down a bit but partner support in the bedroom is a great help along with regular exercise on kegals to help with the wee works is a great help.

The secret is to get up and walk around at least every 30 minutes - even if it's just around the house or to the bottom of the garden. I had a dog to walk which helped - BUT overdoing it will cause some issues with over-tiredness so a little and often.

Of course work might be adding to stress levels with the incontinence.

User
Posted 03 Sep 2023 at 12:13

I’m now 18 weeks post op and still feel fatigued. I went back to work after 7 weeks and have gradually increased hours but still not back to previous levels. I’ve made sure I’ve increased walking and do 1 hour in the morning and an hour at night and get to around 20,000 steps a day and more at weekends. That has helped but it has been a gradual increase. I had a regular GP check up and annual blood test the other week and it came back as I was anaemic - having more tests to find out more that maybe a contributing factor to my fatigue. At my last consultation with the hospital they did say it could take 18-24 months post op before I found out what my recovery from side effects etc was so a long way to go yet. Be patient and remember everyone has different recoveries. Good luck. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Sep 2023 at 21:18
That's not usual - 10 weeks on and apart from a problem with a lymphocele (leg and groin pain) I was feeling chipper. ED and incontinence can get you down a bit but partner support in the bedroom is a great help along with regular exercise on kegals to help with the wee works is a great help.

The secret is to get up and walk around at least every 30 minutes - even if it's just around the house or to the bottom of the garden. I had a dog to walk which helped - BUT overdoing it will cause some issues with over-tiredness so a little and often.

Of course work might be adding to stress levels with the incontinence.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2023 at 22:05

Thank you for your reply 😊

He has been incredibly lucky with the incontinence and no issues since the catheter was removed.

Working he's only managing a couple of hours a day then needs to come home.

Exercise has been little walks and a few lengths of the local pool, but all very gentle, so not overdoing it there either.

Hoping he starts to feel better soon 🤞

User
Posted 03 Sep 2023 at 12:13

I’m now 18 weeks post op and still feel fatigued. I went back to work after 7 weeks and have gradually increased hours but still not back to previous levels. I’ve made sure I’ve increased walking and do 1 hour in the morning and an hour at night and get to around 20,000 steps a day and more at weekends. That has helped but it has been a gradual increase. I had a regular GP check up and annual blood test the other week and it came back as I was anaemic - having more tests to find out more that maybe a contributing factor to my fatigue. At my last consultation with the hospital they did say it could take 18-24 months post op before I found out what my recovery from side effects etc was so a long way to go yet. Be patient and remember everyone has different recoveries. Good luck. 

User
Posted 03 Sep 2023 at 15:30

Thank you, good to know others have experienced the same issue 

Sounds like you are making great progress, I hope your anaemia gets sorted soon 

Thanks again 

User
Posted 03 Sep 2023 at 19:16
Hi VickyS, im now eight months post op and just now generally feel like i am starting to regain some strength. I lost a lot of upper leg strength for quite a few months as was noticable when i was walking, using my bike but now feel like i'm slowly getting up to good (not full) strength.

I decided to take quite some time off work to recover and feel i made the right choice. It does take time but your fella will get there. I remember the feeling of having no strength and it's hard to understand how, why, what is going on and when you'll get back to normal, or as normal as can be.

Considering your fella is going to work he's already doing well, slow and steady is the way forward and he will get there. Onwards and upwards from here.

Mal

User
Posted 03 Sep 2023 at 19:52

Thanks Mal,

Good to hear you are feeling stronger and thank you for the advice,  really appreciated 

Vicky