Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Recent tests

User
Posted 08 Sep 2023 at 11:06

Hi.
I am looking for some advice on my recent prostate exam.
I went to the GP 2 weeks ago as I have noticed changes with urination over the last 18 months or so. I also have a family history of prostate cancer.
The PSA came back at 3.7, which the GP wasn’t concerned about, he then did a physical exam and stated that it wasn’t enlarged, but irregular in shape. He then requested for urology to see me, but after 3 days, they stated, for me to have another PSA test in a month.
After speaking with the doctor and going through my report, I found out that he didn’t make any notes on the urinating symptoms and my concern was, if urology were aware of that they may have made a different decision. The GP didn’t agree with me and didn’t think those symptoms were important.
The symptoms are: difficulty starting, a reduction in pressure/flow and after finishing I wait about 10 seconds and then go again for a small amount. Not all of these symptoms happen together, nor are they every time I go.
I have decided to wait for another PSA, but I am concerned that I’m just wasting a month of time and if it is cancer, it will just continue to grow in that month.
Are my concerns warranted or should I just wait and have another PSA?
Thanks.

User
Posted 08 Sep 2023 at 11:42

If it is prostate cancer then it is very slow growing - changes would typically be noticed over 6-12 months, not in weeks. For example my PSA went from 6 to 9 over 12 months.
At 3.7 you are probably in the AS - Active Surveillance period - basically regular PSA tests to observe any changes.
Personally I would wait for the next PSA test - if it is the same, or shows a very slight increase then revisit the GP and reaffirm the problems with urination. If you are seeing the Urologist next then bring up the urination with them too.

Edited by member 08 Sep 2023 at 11:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Sep 2023 at 12:03
Thanks Steve.

I'll do as you say. I've just had a quick read through some posts and my readings seem ridiculously low compared to some.

User
Posted 08 Sep 2023 at 12:09
Sounds like a plan.

When it gets above 6, depending on your age, then they start taking an interest. 'Normal' PSA for someone age 60 is 3.5-4.5 so just keep an eye on it with the blood tests. Remember not to ejaculate for 48 hours before any blood test as that can skew the results higher.

Best of luck

User
Posted 08 Sep 2023 at 14:09

Your PSA is high enough for referral for someone who's aged 45 and doesn't have a large prostate.
(I listed the thresholds from various organisation here: https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29658-High-PSA-levels#post284976)

Many urology departments require two PSA tests some weeks apart before they will accept a referral. Ideally, the GP would also check you don't have a UTI before retesting.

User
Posted 08 Sep 2023 at 20:36

At 3.7 you should be referred however the usual course of events is to have a second PSA about a month later. If the result is the same or higher then you should referred to urology. They will most likely complete another DRE and may ask for another PSA test (they did with me). At this point if levels continue to stay above the threshold then they will request an MRI.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2023 at 12:48

Hi.

Just an update.

I had the second PSA test and it dropped to 3.0, I think this was due to not ejaculating for 4 days and no strength training for a week before. I read that these 2 things increase PSA scores.

I am going for an MRI scan on Sunday, so I'll hopefully get to the bottom of it. Can somebody tell me if they inject Dye for this type of scan. Ive had plenty of scans before and never had dye added.

I have also been reading about BPH and the symptoms seem identical to this.

Thanks.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2023 at 16:27

Yes when I had MRI they injected 'contrast' which I believe is also called dye. 

You are right BPH and prostate cancer can have identical symptoms.

Dave