I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Everying is so bad, dont know where we are at

User
Posted 09 Sep 2023 at 00:15

A family member was diagnosed not too long ago with advanced prostrate cancer which is in the bones. Hormone injections started straight away and the response to these was so positive. In the last few weeks everything is awful.  My relative is in awful pain, has a bone fracture, losing weight big time(that couldn't afford to be lost)  he is starting 6 months if chemo soon and radiotherapy. When I look at him I think he's not going to survive for long. He just went from being OK to being really not OK almost over night. Can a person who is already physically so weak and in so much pain really survive chemo? Can he come back from this?  Heartbreaking as I feel his life now is just a big living hell of pain and stress. This cancer for him is brutal. 

User
Posted 09 Sep 2023 at 15:11

I'm sorry you are here. Because we don't know anything about the diagnosis, how old he is, or what treatment he has been on it is hard to know what happens next.

Even if someone is diagnosed with advanced cancer most people live with reasonable quality of life for at least five years and some for a couple of decades.

Dave

User
Posted 09 Sep 2023 at 21:05

Thank you for your reply. The person is young under 50 and the cancer is terminal. The person is really struggling at the minute and I hope he is going to have enough strength to endure the chemo. Its been good for me to read all the positive stories on the forum and I hope I can come back with good news at some point when the symptoms are more controlled. 

User
Posted 09 Sep 2023 at 21:21
I’m so sorry you and your family member find yourselves in this position…I’m afraid I don’t have the experience of being where you are as my OH is relatively newly diagnosed and awaiting surgery…but I just wanted to send you good wishes and hope others on here can give you more information and any reassurance!

User
Posted 09 Sep 2023 at 21:32

Thank you so much. Very best wishes to you and your OH too. I have mentally prepared myself for the worst ( well as far as that is possible) so anything above the worst will be brilliant. I really do appreciate your kind words ❤️

User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 01:55

It is strange that it is this bad at such a young age. One thing which needs clarifying is the words 'terminal' and 'incurable'. People can have incurable prostate cancer for decades, no existing treatment will get rid of it, but death is not imminent. Terminal is usually used by a medic when they think the patient will not last more than six months. The lay person may hear a medic describe a cancer as incurable and think that means it is terminal, so make sure you are clear as to whether he is incurable or terminal.

Hormone therapy (HT) is usually the starting point for incurable or terminal cancer. The old protocol was to keep using stronger drugs as the original ones failed, chemotherapy was quite a long way down the list, it usually took about five years before chemo was appropriate. A newer protocol is to try all(well a lot) of the drugs immediately and knock the cancer back for a long time (a few years).

His progression to very bad symptoms is either a reaction to the drugs or rapidly progressing cancer. HT can have unpleasant side effects but not as bad as you suggest. It can cause bone fractures, but usually it is after several years.

His PSA levels usually suggest how severe the cancer is. If these are in the hundreds it does imply a very aggressive terminal cancer. He may respond well to the chemo, but sadly you are probably best preparing for the worst.

I hope things turn out better than they currently look.

Dave