Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Awaiting biopsy results anxiety

User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 17:22

Hi All

I'm 44 and since Jan 2023 have been under urology for potential prostate cancer.  My first psa level was 7.2, after 3 months this was then 7.9 and then after 2 months  psa 9.  The mp mri showed nothing suspicious.  I had a flow test which showed a potential restriction and that my bladder still had 68ml left in.  I've since had a biopsy over 2 weeks ago and still awaiting results.  Everything I read says an increase of >0.6 in a year is significant and in most cases cancer.  Can anyone give any guidance / experience on this.  My dad's brother died of prostate cancer in early 50's so I'm obvious very much on edge at the moment. 

User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 18:21

You really need to wait for the biopsy result - we can't guess that. The waiting time is often an anxious time.

Obviously, your PSA is higher than the threshold at which you are referred for checking, but PSA alone doesn't diagnose prostate cancer (unless it's in the hundreds). The other things you mention are not symptoms of prostate cancer, but could be enlarged prostate or prostate inflammation (prostatitis).

I hope you get the all-clear.

User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 18:28

Hi

Thanks for the response and take on board your comments.  They have ruled out prostatis though as apparently psa fluctuates when it's infection where as mine is on a steady incline.  Im hoping it is enlarged prostate, my mind is just spiralling atm. 

Thanks again thou

User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 18:46

Hi Andy

Read your background and quite incredible.  I take my hat of to you, especially all the support work you do now. 

Dave

User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 18:59

Thanks Dave. However, do note that I'm not a clinician.

User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 20:40

Hi Dave,

The waiting is always difficult, try and keep yourself busy and active as well as giving yourself some treats to help keep your mind off it

I hope your results are good.

Derek

User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 22:30

Hi Derek 

Thanks for the response and definitely agree that keeping busy is the best way to ease the anxiety.  Read your incredible journey and so pleased to read your psa is now so low.  If you don't mind me asking do you feel less anxious now and how often do you have to be checked on psa? Reading what you've been through makes me feel rather daft for being anxious at this stage.

Thanks again 

Dave 

User
Posted 11 Sep 2023 at 16:04

As many have said before, the waiting for results is the worst thing. At two weeks, I imagine you will hear something soon. Sometimes easier said than done, but try and remain positive and bear in mind that if your biopsy does find cancer cells (and its by no means a given), treatments and prognoses have improved dramatically in recent years so outcomes are better particularly when caught early. Wishing you all the best wherever your journey takes you

John

User
Posted 11 Sep 2023 at 16:21

Hi John

Thanks for the response and kind words.  I hope your well now and enjoying retirement. 

Thanks 

Dave 

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 09:31
I would say a 0.6 rise in PSA in a year wasn't exceptional. I had PCa and my PSA tests were 6 in 2021, 9.6 in 2022 and 12.3 in 2023 just before the RARP.

I'm not ruling out PCa, but if it is then you sound as though they have caught it early enough that there is a very high probability of it being cured.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 10:32

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info, certainly helps. 

Cheers

Dave