I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sharpestone

User
Posted 11 Sep 2023 at 12:03

Hello to all cancer warriors especially those with stage 4 Prostate cancer. My name is Rog Sharpe and I am 72, at the beginning of June this year my Urologist diagnosed Metastatic prostate cancer, as it had spread to my lymph nodes near the prostate and to my ribs and the cancer was a Gleason 9.

The Urologist had initially done a rectal exam and as the prostate was found to be very hard and enlarged (could not be removed) and my PSA was 225, before any other tests, he put me on Lupron. When I saw the Oncologist we both decided that Apalutamide (Erleada) along with the 3 monthly injections of Lupron was the way to go. We discussed Chemo but as I am an insulin dependant diabetic and I was also suffering from an infection at that time it was decided we would hold fire and continue with the 2 hormone therapies. 

After about 2 weeks on the Apalutamide I experienced a very severe uncomfortable rash one of the side effects of Erleada and after another appointment with the Oncologist I was put on Enzalutamide (Xtida). 

I have now been on the Xtida for 3 weeks and the only side effects are hot flushes sometimes as many as 20-40 a day, one of the advantages being, I will be remain warm whilst everyone else is freezing during the winter,😀. 

I reported this to my Oncologist this morning and he has suggested Sage tea and Primrose oil and to use a fan whilst at home, and before this he had also told me my PSA was know 0.05 which was good news quite a dramatic drop from 225. 

Of course my diagnoses was a massive shock and I have felt emotionally drained, concerned and troubled. But I have managed to struggle through the last 3 months and am now feeling a lot better and a lot more positive. Anyone diagnosed with prostate cancer will experience dark days but we are all very fortunate that there are so many different treatments that can keep us well along with a better prognosis and I was told that my cancer wasnt an immediate death sentance as sadly some cancers are, but that some men have lived for many years with the same stage 4 cancer. 

If anyone with the same late stage or any other stage prostate cancer would like to contact me it would be great to hear from you.   

All the best, 

Rog Sharpe

User
Posted 11 Sep 2023 at 16:18

Hi

Sorry you find yourself here, good luck on your journey.

I was diagnosed in Oct 20 with a PSA of 383, i had a tumour outside the prostate and a spread to lymph nodes, luckily no where else.  After radiotherapy i was given Apalutamide for 2 years as well as 3 monthly injections. Came off all treatment last October and so far PSA is untraceable.

Its a real shock when your first told but now nearly 3 years later it feels like something thats just in the distance past and hopefully it stays there for some time yet!! 

Keep positive and live life to the full.

Stuart

User
Posted 11 Sep 2023 at 18:19

Well done, thats great news Stuart, Its so refreshing to hear the treatments have worked for you and that you are now off them and your PSA is remaining within the specefied range, I hope this continues.  

Next week I have an appointment with a registered cancer nutritionist to see if she can help. I have already started an excercise regime, so I am doing everything possible to help fight the condition, and to live life to the full, so thanks for your encouraging words.  

It was great to hear from you,

All the best, 

Rog