Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA checks after RP

User
Posted 11 Sep 2023 at 16:22

Hi all 

Quick question, are there recommendations for PSA check frequency after RP. OH is T3b with first PSA <0.01. Is it one of those things that's hospital dependent?

Thank you

Vicky 

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 11:43

NICE says it must be done no less often than 6 monthly for first 2 years. Most places do it 3 or 4 monthly.

With T3b, I would be asking for them 3-monthly I think. It doesn't mean you need a consultation for each one.

User
Posted 11 Sep 2023 at 17:57

In the UK every 3 months is the recommended interval at least for a year. Check with your uro-oncology team.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 09:26
Hi Vicky

I'm in exactly the same position - T3b, RARP in May23 and my first PSA 8 weeks afterwards was <0.01.

My consultant doesn't want to see me until Jan 5, 2024 and wants a PSA test just before.

My GP says she will give me a prescription for one mid October if I want one for peace of mind but says that her advice would be to wait until January just before the appt.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 11:13

Hi Vicky

RALP October 2022, 1st post op meeting and PSA was December, when was given enough blood forms to have PSA check every 3 months. Next face to face this November. I get the results sent to me via an app. I then get a letter from the consultant with result. Basically they monitor it remotely and no need to see face to face unless things start to change or I have any concerns. Hope this helps.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Sep 2023 at 17:57

In the UK every 3 months is the recommended interval at least for a year. Check with your uro-oncology team.

User
Posted 11 Sep 2023 at 18:28

Thank you. We were told 3 months in the first appointment post surgery. The appointment has now come through for mid January - 5 months after last one, so we're a bit concerned 

I couldn't find anything in the NICE guidelines other than the 6 months checks for T2

Just wondered if there was a specific recommendation anywhere.

Thank you

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 09:26
Hi Vicky

I'm in exactly the same position - T3b, RARP in May23 and my first PSA 8 weeks afterwards was <0.01.

My consultant doesn't want to see me until Jan 5, 2024 and wants a PSA test just before.

My GP says she will give me a prescription for one mid October if I want one for peace of mind but says that her advice would be to wait until January just before the appt.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 09:34

Thanks Steve, that's really good to know, knowing other people's experiences is so helpful. Thank you - this forum really is so supportive 😊

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 11:13

Hi Vicky

RALP October 2022, 1st post op meeting and PSA was December, when was given enough blood forms to have PSA check every 3 months. Next face to face this November. I get the results sent to me via an app. I then get a letter from the consultant with result. Basically they monitor it remotely and no need to see face to face unless things start to change or I have any concerns. Hope this helps.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 11:43

NICE says it must be done no less often than 6 monthly for first 2 years. Most places do it 3 or 4 monthly.

With T3b, I would be asking for them 3-monthly I think. It doesn't mean you need a consultation for each one.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 15:40

Thanks Jason, that seems like a really sensible way to do things 👍 

Thanks Andy, yes I think it's worth OH asking for every 3 months

Really helpful, thanks both