Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How has PCa changed you?

User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 08:53

In a recent post gaz61 made a very profound comment 

‘I feel for those still suffering this horrible desease it definitely changes you’

This got me asking myself the question ‘ How has it changed me?’. I am by no means through it yet, with another 21 months (YES! I’m counting!) of this horrible HT a treatment to go.

I’m not talking about the obvious sometimes debilitating physical side effects of the disease and treatment, but more how has it changed you as a person for better or worse,

My thoughts are listed below…I’d be interested to hear yours!

The Bad!

1. I’ve always had a wee bit of a short fuse, but when waiting on tests results,  I am extremely tetchy….my poor family😟

2. It’s made me angry at times….the ‘Why Me?’ Syndrome 😡

3. It’s made me quite emotional, although I think the sertraline helps with this enormously.

The Good!

1. It’s given me an even closer loving relationship with my wife, who has supported me throughout, wiped my tears away(not THAT often!)  and kept me thinking positive.

2. I tend to treat every day as if it were my last.

3. I don’t put off things that I can do today, until tomorrow.  I just get on it’s them NOW! major house renovations which I’ve put off for years are going on at at the moment, new boiler fitted, conservatory roof replaced and inside refurbished, new kitchen being delivered in 2 weeks time…it’s all go and keeps my mind focused!

4. I don’t waste any minute of the day, I don’t watch rubbish TV anymore, mainly watch sport…disappointed at the Scotland result last night but wow! England WERE good!

6. I am much more active, I only rest when my side effects tell me I need to. Walking, cycling(love my e-bike!), gym and swimming.

7. Through Maggies I have many more male friends, some of whom I’ve formed a close bond with. Maggies really has been my saviour.

8. I love the simple things in life like just going out for a coffee….love my one shot of caffeine per day and it really helps boost me😊

So…many more positives than negatives, and I think that’s important for getting through this ordeal!

I would love to know how it’s changed others….

Derek

User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 08:53

In a recent post gaz61 made a very profound comment 

‘I feel for those still suffering this horrible desease it definitely changes you’

This got me asking myself the question ‘ How has it changed me?’. I am by no means through it yet, with another 21 months (YES! I’m counting!) of this horrible HT a treatment to go.

I’m not talking about the obvious sometimes debilitating physical side effects of the disease and treatment, but more how has it changed you as a person for better or worse,

My thoughts are listed below…I’d be interested to hear yours!

The Bad!

1. I’ve always had a wee bit of a short fuse, but when waiting on tests results,  I am extremely tetchy….my poor family😟

2. It’s made me angry at times….the ‘Why Me?’ Syndrome 😡

3. It’s made me quite emotional, although I think the sertraline helps with this enormously.

The Good!

1. It’s given me an even closer loving relationship with my wife, who has supported me throughout, wiped my tears away(not THAT often!)  and kept me thinking positive.

2. I tend to treat every day as if it were my last.

3. I don’t put off things that I can do today, until tomorrow.  I just get on it’s them NOW! major house renovations which I’ve put off for years are going on at at the moment, new boiler fitted, conservatory roof replaced and inside refurbished, new kitchen being delivered in 2 weeks time…it’s all go and keeps my mind focused!

4. I don’t waste any minute of the day, I don’t watch rubbish TV anymore, mainly watch sport…disappointed at the Scotland result last night but wow! England WERE good!

6. I am much more active, I only rest when my side effects tell me I need to. Walking, cycling(love my e-bike!), gym and swimming.

7. Through Maggies I have many more male friends, some of whom I’ve formed a close bond with. Maggies really has been my saviour.

8. I love the simple things in life like just going out for a coffee….love my one shot of caffeine per day and it really helps boost me😊

So…many more positives than negatives, and I think that’s important for getting through this ordeal!

I would love to know how it’s changed others….

Derek

User
Posted 18 Oct 2023 at 06:28

In recent years I've discovered that I'm ADD. I use that term rather than ADHD because in adults the Hyperactivity bit isn't usually quite as apparent as it is in young children. For me, it's a family trait that effected my father and now gives my son trouble.

The reason I raise it here, is that based on my own experience and from watching my son growing up, testosterone at puberty really brings out AD[H]D. I'm fairly sure that being on HT temporarily smoothed ADD symptoms for its duration. Post HT the second puberty has been a mixed blessing and I'd sort of forgotten what ADD was like and how to deal with it, so while leaving HT behind has been a great relief in most ways I think it's worth telling others here, that if they are ADD people, they might have to deal with a resurgence of this blight when they regain their normal testosterone levels.

Jules

User
Posted 18 Oct 2023 at 17:47
I'll bet that I am in the minority but maybe it was the way that I was raised - my family talked about death frequently and were very matter of fact about it - it happens to everyone eventually. We were not religious, don't believe in anything afterwards and just think that you should live your life every day at a time. When Mum and Dad passed, we shed a tear of course but there was no funerals and the ashes were spread in their favourite places - in dads case it was at his local fishing spot and I promised to feed him back to the fish so they could get their own back LOL

So to answer the question, I really don't feel that it has affected me very much at all. I'm still deeply in love with my wife, enjoy life day to day and even joke when she wants me to do something that "I can't - I have cancer!" - I bet that will get some comments but it's just the way we are.

I know my diagnosis was not what I hoped for but hey, there are a lot of people in a worse condition and I'm sure that there are plenty of treatments and options that will keep me alive for another 15 years or so.
User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 23:50

Hi Decho,

Interesting thought but after 10 minutes thinking it seemed most of mine are more neurotic than logical.   They're more related to getting older.

There are things like is this food or activity possibly detrimental.   Is dairy bad for PCa?   I cut back to 2 pints max or half a bottle of wine twice a week because too much may undermine my immune sytem or irritate rogue cells.

At the gym is the saddle on the bike going to loosen rogue cells.   I'll stick to the treadmill for intensive activity.

I worry more about my wife and I think she worries about me which does make you more considerate and shielding than normal.

I never ask why me though.   I just think what do I need to do to keep it down.

It's a new interest, is there anything new about PCa.   Is there anything on the PCUK forum I need to know.

New thoughts.  How long will I survive, will it come back.  Do I need to be aware of scan timescales.  At the moment I can imagine lasting another 10yrs which seems pretty good and imagine I might last 15.

The combination of getting older and the recurrance going slower gives more optimism, for me.

I think it's going into ramble mode so it's bedtime.

User
Posted 17 Oct 2023 at 23:56

The telly keeps telling me that 1 out of 2 people will have a cancer during their lifetime and 1 out of 8 men will have prostate cancer.

Morbid though it may seem I often reflect on these figures. It stops me thinking I'm unlucky or drfting into bouts of self pity. I also think more of those who are far less fortunate than me.

However I do feel sorry, in fact at times, almost guilty, for the effects my disease is having on my loved ones, particularly my wife. I certainly wouldn't cope as well if it was her that was ill.

I try to live as I did prior to this set back. I still drink too much. I still eat relatively unhealthy. I still get far too little sex.

I suppose I'm a bit more grumpy than I used to be, but that seems reasonable.

What I have found quite refreshing is that I no longer worry about things that don't need worrying about and treasure more the things that matter most.

Edited by member 18 Oct 2023 at 00:45  | Reason: Grammar

User
Posted 20 Oct 2023 at 09:10

Sorry that it has affected you so badly John - that sucks.
How much do you talk to your wife and children about your situation and feelings?
If you are bottling it all up then that's doing you or them no good at all.
Worried about how they will cope when you have gone - ask them, talk about it. Yes, there will probably be tears, but discuss it.
Death is part of life, we all die one way or another sooner or later. Some through disease, most through coronary disease, and some through accidents. Face up to it as a fact and then talk about life after you (or they) have gone.

Sitting there worrying about it yourself is not helpful.

And yes, I think 'motivation' is the #1 problem in maybe 90% of cases.
A trivial example is that when I was younger (at school), I would go hunting and fishing with my Dad. At the weekend I'd be lying in my bed until maybe lunchtime EXCEPT on the days we were going fishing or rabbiting when I would be up and dressed by 5am raring to go. It could be the worst weather, rain, snow etc but his comment the night before - "If you aren't ready then I'm going without you". Motivation achieves miracles :)

Edited by member 20 Oct 2023 at 09:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Oct 2023 at 22:55

Ditto what Steve says ForestJohn. However I know from personal experience in Maggies that men find it MUCH easier to talk to a group who are in the same position as you, rather than people close to them(and that includes me!). It needn’t by PCa, any cancer, we have a guy joined recently who was not in a good place but is slowly opening up and it IS helping him. I also get inspired by some of the group who have a far worse prognosis than me but are so positive and living their lives to the full.

Its good that your determined to keep teaching, although that in itself must make you tired.

Re finding something that excites you, I find eBiking does it for me. You’re getting lots of exercise, you can work as little or as hard as you like and it’s quite exhilarating. The thing is even if I don’t have much energy, I can just stick in turbo mode and still have a lot of fun.

Have you ever thought more carefully about getting a little help in the form of something like sertraline….it’s done wonders for my mood. Yes, I would rather deal with this myself, but the way I see it is the anxiety was brought on by HT, so it’s just another side effect which can be mitigated by taking his ‘Happy Pill’. Without it I would be miserable and anxious and I already have enough to deal with with this disease

All the best and try and stay strong and positive, even though it might be hard at times.

Derek

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 23:50

Hi Decho,

Interesting thought but after 10 minutes thinking it seemed most of mine are more neurotic than logical.   They're more related to getting older.

There are things like is this food or activity possibly detrimental.   Is dairy bad for PCa?   I cut back to 2 pints max or half a bottle of wine twice a week because too much may undermine my immune sytem or irritate rogue cells.

At the gym is the saddle on the bike going to loosen rogue cells.   I'll stick to the treadmill for intensive activity.

I worry more about my wife and I think she worries about me which does make you more considerate and shielding than normal.

I never ask why me though.   I just think what do I need to do to keep it down.

It's a new interest, is there anything new about PCa.   Is there anything on the PCUK forum I need to know.

New thoughts.  How long will I survive, will it come back.  Do I need to be aware of scan timescales.  At the moment I can imagine lasting another 10yrs which seems pretty good and imagine I might last 15.

The combination of getting older and the recurrance going slower gives more optimism, for me.

I think it's going into ramble mode so it's bedtime.

User
Posted 17 Oct 2023 at 23:56

The telly keeps telling me that 1 out of 2 people will have a cancer during their lifetime and 1 out of 8 men will have prostate cancer.

Morbid though it may seem I often reflect on these figures. It stops me thinking I'm unlucky or drfting into bouts of self pity. I also think more of those who are far less fortunate than me.

However I do feel sorry, in fact at times, almost guilty, for the effects my disease is having on my loved ones, particularly my wife. I certainly wouldn't cope as well if it was her that was ill.

I try to live as I did prior to this set back. I still drink too much. I still eat relatively unhealthy. I still get far too little sex.

I suppose I'm a bit more grumpy than I used to be, but that seems reasonable.

What I have found quite refreshing is that I no longer worry about things that don't need worrying about and treasure more the things that matter most.

Edited by member 18 Oct 2023 at 00:45  | Reason: Grammar

User
Posted 18 Oct 2023 at 06:28

In recent years I've discovered that I'm ADD. I use that term rather than ADHD because in adults the Hyperactivity bit isn't usually quite as apparent as it is in young children. For me, it's a family trait that effected my father and now gives my son trouble.

The reason I raise it here, is that based on my own experience and from watching my son growing up, testosterone at puberty really brings out AD[H]D. I'm fairly sure that being on HT temporarily smoothed ADD symptoms for its duration. Post HT the second puberty has been a mixed blessing and I'd sort of forgotten what ADD was like and how to deal with it, so while leaving HT behind has been a great relief in most ways I think it's worth telling others here, that if they are ADD people, they might have to deal with a resurgence of this blight when they regain their normal testosterone levels.

Jules

User
Posted 18 Oct 2023 at 16:59

1. More emotional can easily tear up

2. Reluctant to do stuff I don't want to.

3. Take control of situations i.e do stuff that is a positive to take control. Before I would just accept stuff as is, but not be happy about it. I can't control what cancer might do in the future but there is plenty of stuff I can influence.

Edited by member 18 Oct 2023 at 17:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Oct 2023 at 17:47
I'll bet that I am in the minority but maybe it was the way that I was raised - my family talked about death frequently and were very matter of fact about it - it happens to everyone eventually. We were not religious, don't believe in anything afterwards and just think that you should live your life every day at a time. When Mum and Dad passed, we shed a tear of course but there was no funerals and the ashes were spread in their favourite places - in dads case it was at his local fishing spot and I promised to feed him back to the fish so they could get their own back LOL

So to answer the question, I really don't feel that it has affected me very much at all. I'm still deeply in love with my wife, enjoy life day to day and even joke when she wants me to do something that "I can't - I have cancer!" - I bet that will get some comments but it's just the way we are.

I know my diagnosis was not what I hoped for but hey, there are a lot of people in a worse condition and I'm sure that there are plenty of treatments and options that will keep me alive for another 15 years or so.
User
Posted 18 Oct 2023 at 21:21

Hi

Well done for being so positive - you're a bit of an inspiration for us all!

How has it changed me?

Didn't have any significant sex life before diagnosis thanks to OH menopause. Thanks to orchidectomy plus apalutamide it no longer worries me. No decernable libedo anymore, just a love for my wife.

No longer have boundless stamina, so lie ins and naps are a common part of life. I acknowledge I'm wasting time and my remaining life, but I haven't the energy or motivation to fill every moment.

I now exercise for my life rather than more for fun. Apalutamide can have issues for your circulatory system, so I push myself to complete at least 40km per week on the row erg. The hope being that this will keep things flowing.

I recognize symptoms of depression in myself (hardly surprising), so I'm determined to keep teaching as long as possible.  The children keep you smiling!

I've lost my trust in the nhs. I'm fed up with the system that tries to follow standard protocols, rather than considering the impact on the life of the patient. I've had to do my own research to find out what might be best for me. When you talk about the alternatives with the consultants they usually agree they're probably better or no worse than standard protocols! You shouldn't need to fight!

I do try to push myself more to enjoy the moment. It often works, but at some point reality pops back into your head and you end up sitting quietly just watching the social situation around you.

Snap with the home improvements. Solar panels next week and lift and small extension early next year !

I now worry far more about the future. How will my wife cope when I'm gone? When will the apalutamide fail? How much pain, disability and loss of dignity will I suffer on my way out? I used to carry on, thinking I was invincible. Now every new pain or niggle sends me into an internal (protect the family) panic! I'm always quiet and on edge every two months before each consultant phone call.

That's probably enough!🤣

User
Posted 20 Oct 2023 at 09:10

Sorry that it has affected you so badly John - that sucks.
How much do you talk to your wife and children about your situation and feelings?
If you are bottling it all up then that's doing you or them no good at all.
Worried about how they will cope when you have gone - ask them, talk about it. Yes, there will probably be tears, but discuss it.
Death is part of life, we all die one way or another sooner or later. Some through disease, most through coronary disease, and some through accidents. Face up to it as a fact and then talk about life after you (or they) have gone.

Sitting there worrying about it yourself is not helpful.

And yes, I think 'motivation' is the #1 problem in maybe 90% of cases.
A trivial example is that when I was younger (at school), I would go hunting and fishing with my Dad. At the weekend I'd be lying in my bed until maybe lunchtime EXCEPT on the days we were going fishing or rabbiting when I would be up and dressed by 5am raring to go. It could be the worst weather, rain, snow etc but his comment the night before - "If you aren't ready then I'm going without you". Motivation achieves miracles :)

Edited by member 20 Oct 2023 at 09:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Oct 2023 at 20:02

I don't tend to talk about my worries to anyone. As you say it upsets them. Whilst I've been my normal stoic self, my wife and eldest son have already gone on happy pills because of me! I prefer to just try and deal with it - very old fashioned I suppose.  However, we have at least got wills and powers of attorney sorted out, so I haven't completely put my head in the sand. 

To be honest, talking about it makes me even more miserable so I try to avoid it.

Yes, motivation is the key. Unfortunately, other than hard targets such as going to school to work, or diaried commitments, everything else seems to slip. I need to find something with sufficient pull to get me up, a bit like your fishing.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2023 at 23:08
I've become a lot more intolerant with external issues, also prone to bursts of anger which never happened prior to diagnosis, but never with my grandchildren. My late father had an Irish temper which unfortunately I seem to have inherited late in life.
On the plus side having no libido I've managed to be more decisive, more productive, taken wider interests and managed to accept and adapt my changed existence.
Everyone's journey is different, we're all fighting our own battles against this s*** card we've been dealt.
Keep the faith brothers 👍
User
Posted 21 Oct 2023 at 18:49

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I don't tend to talk about my worries to anyone. As you say it upsets them.

I feel for you - it's tough but you might be surprised by their resilience after the tears. I know that we always try and protect those close to us but sometimes you have to break down that barrier and open the door.

Maybe start by asking them to read this thread - sometime starting things by writing them down can help.

However you deal with it, be strong and positive - best of luck!

User
Posted 21 Oct 2023 at 22:55

Ditto what Steve says ForestJohn. However I know from personal experience in Maggies that men find it MUCH easier to talk to a group who are in the same position as you, rather than people close to them(and that includes me!). It needn’t by PCa, any cancer, we have a guy joined recently who was not in a good place but is slowly opening up and it IS helping him. I also get inspired by some of the group who have a far worse prognosis than me but are so positive and living their lives to the full.

Its good that your determined to keep teaching, although that in itself must make you tired.

Re finding something that excites you, I find eBiking does it for me. You’re getting lots of exercise, you can work as little or as hard as you like and it’s quite exhilarating. The thing is even if I don’t have much energy, I can just stick in turbo mode and still have a lot of fun.

Have you ever thought more carefully about getting a little help in the form of something like sertraline….it’s done wonders for my mood. Yes, I would rather deal with this myself, but the way I see it is the anxiety was brought on by HT, so it’s just another side effect which can be mitigated by taking his ‘Happy Pill’. Without it I would be miserable and anxious and I already have enough to deal with with this disease

All the best and try and stay strong and positive, even though it might be hard at times.

Derek

User
Posted 22 Oct 2023 at 00:21

Find a local support group. I have a couple of new best friends I would never have met otherwise. We can offload onto each other since we all have prostate cancer, without worrying that we'll scare off our other friends who haven't been through it and would struggle with how to react. In the local support group, we all talk about the stuff men traditionally don't, absolutely no holes barred, just like here.

I am more careful talking with my non prostate cancer friends. I think it is easy to scare some people away, because they don't know what to say, and are worried they may quickly get out of their depth in trying to support you.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2024 at 15:52

How has it changed me? 

I'm probably not the best persons to ask but *I* think *not much*. I know I'm going to die one day, but I'm not afraid of dyeing (although I'd rather not). I am afraid of leaving my family behind (youngest is 11).

Been ol Zoladex for 2 months and awaiting RT. I still eat too much, still drink too much, but no weight gain (or loss), at least not yet. Still a couch potato.

As an Airline Pilot I can't work. From diagnosis Medical is immediately suspended and so I'm grounded until post treatment is reviewed by the CAA and found satisfactory. I have way too much time to think now and in itself has been a problem at times.

Decided not to tell the children because I think the 11 year-old would freak out. Might be wrong, but I'm not taking any chances, and even if i am wrong there's no benefit for them to know. In fact, haven't told anyone in case of a leak back to the kids. They think I've taken 1/2 paid winter leave from the airline. Come 1st April, when I've told them I'm due back, if I'm not back, we'll have to think of something else. I'm hopeful of getting through treatment without them knowing. But this whole cover-up has been quite stressful. 

From my through-the-roof PSA result (71) until the battery of tests were done and an explanation of exactly what I have from the medics was about 6 weeks. It was, without doubt, the worst 6 weeks of my life. I couldn't think straight, sometimes I couldn't think at all. Wouldn't wish what I was going through then on my worst enemy. But I'm ok now. Back to normal.

I'm generally a happy and positive person and now that I have the diagnosis, the medical pathway, and more knowledge, I think i still am.

These forums have helped me massively. The Experience and knowledge here is just staggering!

Thank you all.