I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The Story Continues

User
Posted 17 Sep 2023 at 14:18

After diagnosis in 2019 followed by chemo, I’ve been on Zoladex implants then had bicalutamide added. As of this weekend my meds have changed to Arbiraterone in place of the bicalutamide (Zoladex continues). Got 3 months worth of Arbiraterone, steroid and lansoprazole on Friday. Needed a shopping trolley to carry the stuff (nearly!). Together with statins, blood pressure meds and thyroxine (thyroid removed donkeys years ago) that’s 10 tablets each morning. I’m still trying to work out a timetable which allows me breakfast at a sensible time!

I would be interested to hear anyone’s experience of Arbiraterone and the associated meds. Feeling fine so far but only 2 days in. I was a bit concerned to read of one guy whose PSA continued to rise even with Arbiraterone. Mine has risen slowly over 18 months to 17.4.

Got an appointment with our GP practice nurse on Thursday who is probably going to tell me to stop eating cheese cos my cholesterol is high. Think I might tell her I use it as a sex substitute.

User
Posted 18 Sep 2023 at 10:43

I wouldn't be too worried about that cheese sandwich.

Dave

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 08:14
Re inspirational stories about Abiraterone look up IRUN on this forum.

While 1 cheese sandwich isn't going to affect anything the catalogue of pills you are on indicates you have metabolic issues that will not help your cancer or anything else.

You might want to think about zero carbs and intermittent fasting as a way to wean yourself off BP tablets, statins etc. Throw in the odd super marathon and you may get the same outcome as IRUN!

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 19:46

If your cholesterol is high, ask for a Statin to bring it back to normal. It will be (at least in part) due to the hormone therapy.

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 11:16

Thanks for the advice guys. Think I might pass on the super marathon!

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 13:20
Andy62 southported is already on a Statin.

Zero carb is the way to go for chronic metabolic issues. At least worth a try.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 14:26

Just had the results of my PSA test two weeks after starting arbiraterone. PSA fallen from 17.4 to 12.5 and side effects were uncomfortable but no worse and are now nearly gone ! So, all good😄

Also, I'm less pre diabetic than I was 12 months ago and my BP is fine!

User
Posted 14 Nov 2023 at 16:09

PSA now 9. Got travel insurance. Planning hols🏖🏝⛱

User
Posted 14 Nov 2023 at 17:27

Enjoy your holidays Sothportred…it’s a great way to chill and forget about everything😊

User
Posted 14 Nov 2023 at 20:14

Cheers 

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 08:47

Have a great time on ya hols,who did you end up getting your holiday insurance from?

Phil

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 09:13

Hi Phil, used Insurance With (insurance with.com). Long on line application but got cover for 3 weeks in France next June for me and my wife for £285. Used them last year too, but needed to reapply as my meds have changed.

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 09:23

OK,will keep them in mind for next year.

Cheers