I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Leaking and exercises

User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 12:35

I know it’s early but really down about leaking.  I am trying the exercises but that just makes me squirt more wee.  I haven’t yet managed to get a full bladder where I have the urge to wee, it is just trickling out every time I move especially when I stand up.  I tried this morning to drink a lot and went to the garden and tried to hold it in, but it just basically trickled out every time I moved. I know it can be months until there is an improvement, or maybe they never will, at the moment, I’m walking round the house with a cup over the end of my dick just to save on the amount of pants and pants I’m going through. I’m thinking about asking for a referral to a continent nurse maybe that is too soon? Or would they see me earlier to help me try and do the exercises more properly but I think I’m doing it right. At the moment I can’t ever imagine going out for a pint again and it’s really getting me down , I can’t leave the house really, unless I took a whole lot of pads with me.  Apparently I had a very large prostate and maybe this is causing the issue, I just wondered if there’s anybody who has been in a similar situation who has got any advice. I know it’s less than a week since the catheter came out, so maybe I’ve just got to keep at it do people do exercises in the bath? (To help with spillage)

Edited by member 23 Sep 2023 at 15:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 19:32

Slim , I was fortunate to be 99 percent 4 days after catheter removal,but those first few days sound very similar to yours. Unfortunately other things happened post treatment and I lost and regained my continence on numerous occasions. I used to wrap some toilet tissue in a nappy liner to soak up the dribbles. I found with frequent changes it saved on the number of pads I was using. Don't use toilet paper on its own that can increase the risk of infection. Sainsbury's sell nappy liners, unfortunately in this green world the quality is not as good as they used to be.

Far to early to be worrying, stick with it.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 19:39
What you say sounds very familiar, my pad consumption was scarily high to begin with especially if I tried going out. But it got better!
User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 19:59
Yep, I know exactly what you mean and your situation is pretty normal.

I found practising stopping and starting the stream when peeing helped. 4 months after RARP I am now able to hold a full bladder as long as needed and also, if I remember to tense up, can prevent leakage when sneezing.

It just takes time and I was on 4 pads a day when I started and now just a #1 pad which normally lasts all day.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 20:02
Also to add, check out to see if you have access to a continence physiotherapist - they can help in several ways including using a finger up your bum to check that you are tensing the correct muscles during the kegal exercises. Sounds awful but it is a real help.
User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 20:56

I had the same issue and for the 1st couple of weeks post catheter removal I could not as they say hold water but things improved in steps. I started off with 9/10 pads a day and then every few weeks there was a gradual reduction. Now 5 months later I am on 1 pad every 24 hours (occasionally 2 a day as more for comfort I will change if for instance going out at night). I could not go without a pad but have been advised when ‘socially acceptable’ to do without a pad in the evening. I’ve not yet had that chance. Patience is key. Good luck. 

User
Posted 24 Sep 2023 at 13:12

You had the catheter removed on the 19th and it is the 23rd. Is that correct? If so it is very early days. You should not start worrying for a few weeks but you must do the squeezing exercises: 10 squeezes, three times a day (sitting on the toilet so you will notice gradual improvement) but don't overdo it!

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 24 Sep 2023 at 20:46

Hi Slimslim,

Yes, as others have already said, it (usually) gets better.  When I had the Trial Without Catheter, they gave me a measuring jug to see how much liquid I could hold.  The answer was zero.  I was constantly leaking and unable to get to the toilet in time with the measuring jug!  After that, I was using 7 or 8 pads per day, and like you, I had no control, just dribbling at the slightest movement, even changing my posture on a chair.  I am now 15 months post-surgery and use 2-3 pads per day.  I still have 'bad' days, and evenings are usually worse.  Some people have said it's because the muscles get tired by the evening.  I did have a referral to the pelvic floor therapist.  There was a bit of a waiting list, so it was 5 months before I saw them, so wounds were healed.  they advised that, although I was doing the Kegel exercises correctly, my pelvic floor muscles were weak.  They recommended a Pilates Class in addition to the Kegel exercises.  I continue to attend Pilates.  Whether the improvement in my continence is because of the Pilates / Kegel exercises, or whether it would have improved over that time period  anyway, I shall never know.

Good luck.

JedSee.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 19:32

Slim , I was fortunate to be 99 percent 4 days after catheter removal,but those first few days sound very similar to yours. Unfortunately other things happened post treatment and I lost and regained my continence on numerous occasions. I used to wrap some toilet tissue in a nappy liner to soak up the dribbles. I found with frequent changes it saved on the number of pads I was using. Don't use toilet paper on its own that can increase the risk of infection. Sainsbury's sell nappy liners, unfortunately in this green world the quality is not as good as they used to be.

Far to early to be worrying, stick with it.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 19:39
What you say sounds very familiar, my pad consumption was scarily high to begin with especially if I tried going out. But it got better!
User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 19:59
Yep, I know exactly what you mean and your situation is pretty normal.

I found practising stopping and starting the stream when peeing helped. 4 months after RARP I am now able to hold a full bladder as long as needed and also, if I remember to tense up, can prevent leakage when sneezing.

It just takes time and I was on 4 pads a day when I started and now just a #1 pad which normally lasts all day.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 20:02
Also to add, check out to see if you have access to a continence physiotherapist - they can help in several ways including using a finger up your bum to check that you are tensing the correct muscles during the kegal exercises. Sounds awful but it is a real help.
User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 20:56

I had the same issue and for the 1st couple of weeks post catheter removal I could not as they say hold water but things improved in steps. I started off with 9/10 pads a day and then every few weeks there was a gradual reduction. Now 5 months later I am on 1 pad every 24 hours (occasionally 2 a day as more for comfort I will change if for instance going out at night). I could not go without a pad but have been advised when ‘socially acceptable’ to do without a pad in the evening. I’ve not yet had that chance. Patience is key. Good luck. 

User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 21:54

Thanks for replies.  I feel better reading this.  One thing more …..  I am never getting to the stage where I feel that I want a wee because it is trickling out every time I get out of a chair or get up from bed.  Is that a problem that I don’t have a full bladder?  I think it maybe because I was much the same with a large prostate but now that has gone I hoped to be able to hold it for longer etc. but I do t think I have the muscle to stop a full bladder trickling out.  Hopefully in time 

User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 22:45

Steve and others having problem with climacturia  (urine leakage).

Following my prostatectomy 12 years ago my catheter had to remain in place for over 5 weeks. When it was removed it felt as though a tap was fully turned on!  I had no help from anyone. Things were so bad that I used to just sit on the toilet for long periods to get some relief. Then a couple of days after the removal of the catheter, while sitting on the toilet, I instinctively tried to stop the flow. Guess what I could feel the rate of drips slowed a little. That was a Eureka moment for me and from that point onwards I would sit on the toilet, squeeze to try and stop the flow for the count of ten, then let go to the count of ten, repeating the process ten times, three times, a day. After a week or so I felt I was making real progress and continued for about a month and gradually reduced the number of pads - eventually to a single pad per day and that is where I am even now. I always put a small pad in my underpants for safety.

In my opinion I really would not let anyone 'put a finger up your bum', as you say. The point where the urethra is attached to the the bladder is vulnerable to damage and you certainly don't want to go there! You have to let the healing takes place for a long period before interfering with that part of your anatomy!

I know there are physios who will train you to locate your pelvic (Kegel) muscles. Every time you go for a pee you are using your pelvic muscles and if you were to interrupt the flow you are again using the relevant muscles. I really don't think you need anyone to teach you how to train your waterworks to return to normal. Those who have just had a surgery and leaking why not try this intuitive technique, you have nothing to lose! Let your body naturally heal itself with a little help. 

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 24 Sep 2023 at 04:10

thanks.  Yes I have some control too in that I can stop the flow if I squeeze but I can’t stop it starting even if I try to squeeze before I stand up. In fact that usually make me pre a bit.   I worried that it says in the leaflets not to stop the flow too many times as it can cause issues but I may try this a. It more as at least I know irbid the right muscle then 

User
Posted 24 Sep 2023 at 13:04

Hi Slimsslim

Of course you shouldn't overdo it. 10 squeezes three times a day is a good optimum number. 

User
Posted 24 Sep 2023 at 13:12

You had the catheter removed on the 19th and it is the 23rd. Is that correct? If so it is very early days. You should not start worrying for a few weeks but you must do the squeezing exercises: 10 squeezes, three times a day (sitting on the toilet so you will notice gradual improvement) but don't overdo it!

User
Posted 24 Sep 2023 at 20:46

Hi Slimslim,

Yes, as others have already said, it (usually) gets better.  When I had the Trial Without Catheter, they gave me a measuring jug to see how much liquid I could hold.  The answer was zero.  I was constantly leaking and unable to get to the toilet in time with the measuring jug!  After that, I was using 7 or 8 pads per day, and like you, I had no control, just dribbling at the slightest movement, even changing my posture on a chair.  I am now 15 months post-surgery and use 2-3 pads per day.  I still have 'bad' days, and evenings are usually worse.  Some people have said it's because the muscles get tired by the evening.  I did have a referral to the pelvic floor therapist.  There was a bit of a waiting list, so it was 5 months before I saw them, so wounds were healed.  they advised that, although I was doing the Kegel exercises correctly, my pelvic floor muscles were weak.  They recommended a Pilates Class in addition to the Kegel exercises.  I continue to attend Pilates.  Whether the improvement in my continence is because of the Pilates / Kegel exercises, or whether it would have improved over that time period  anyway, I shall never know.

Good luck.

JedSee.