I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

support partner

User
Posted 27 Sep 2023 at 18:11

hi me again sorry. my partner is awaiting bone scan and biopsy.  at the beginning of this 4 weeks ago I  totally panicked and fell apart I am now however having done My research am feeling much more positive now . of course I'm still worried but I have hope  . . I'm worried about my partner he's very down understandable totally and he's drinking to mask it and give up a bit I think expecting the worse.   any advice how to support him please . should I just give him space and just be there when he needs me ?I found some counseling sessions with bupa they rung him and said they going to arrange some times and dates .i think there over the phone . I'm back at work bills to pay but he's not at work again totally understandable but he struggles when not keeping active . he did even before all this . thank u for any advice 

Edited by member 27 Sep 2023 at 18:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Sep 2023 at 21:45

1982, I was called back to GP a few days after my PSA test and was told I was being referred to urology on the two week cancer pathway. At that point I shut out my wife and family,it was my problem I was going to deal with it my way. I spoke to work colleagues and strangers about my cancer. The next time I involved my wife was four months later when she took me to the hospital for the operation,that was also the first time she met my consultant. 

I dealt with it a calm and logical way. We all deal with things in different ways. Sometimes we men need a kick up the backside other times we need to do it our way.

I hope you find a resolution.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 27 Sep 2023 at 22:16

1982, as I said in your previous post I think, he needs the support of other men who are going through this. CounsellIng sessions over the phone is a start but I certainly found being able to talk openly in my support group(Maggies) really helped me come to terms with this disease.

User
Posted 28 Sep 2023 at 09:08

He probably needs educating on what this is all about as in his head he has CANCER whereas in fact he has cancer. Very curable and he will likely die of something completely unrelated.
Can you get him to join this group and have a chat with us - even if he remains anonymous.
We are all walking the same path here and there is a lot of support from belonging to a group of people in the same situation.

Biopsy and bone scans are completely normal to assess what they are dealing with - he isn't special because they are having them arranged.

Edited by member 28 Sep 2023 at 09:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Sep 2023 at 20:30

If the medics are saying they think there is a distant met on his hip but believe his lymph nodes are clear, it doesn't seem to stack up. It would spread to the lymph nodes first. What was his PSA reading?