I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cooked Tomatoes

User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 11:25

On Radio 4 this morning Michael Mosley talking with a professor about why the prostate needs tomatoes.

The prostate generates less of it's own protection against dna damage than other organs. Cooked Tomatoes create lycopene which is an anti-oxident helping protect the prostate.

How effective this is I don't know as I've always had a reasonable amount of cooked Tomatoes maybe not half a cup a day though.  As my psa is now detectable I'm with this.

It's a short programme, 15mins,  linked here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001r1ms?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Edited by member 04 Oct 2023 at 11:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 16:22

I haven't listened to the program, but his programs are usually very good.

There is some thought that lycopene might protect against prostate cancer. It's the red colour in tomatoes and red peppers.

Lycopene is insoluble, so if you eat a fresh raw tomato, it simply passes through you as fibre without any extra benefits. In order to absorb lycopene, it needs to be consumed dissolved in oil. So the tomato (with skin, as that's where the lycopene is concentrated) needs to be cooked in oil, and the oil consumed. Some of the best sources are tomato ketchup, tomato soups, or even a teaspoon of tomato puree concentrate if it contains oil.

How beneficial it is if you already have prostate cancer is even less clear than the extent it might help to prevent getting it. It may well be you already missed the boat on that one.

Edited by member 04 Oct 2023 at 16:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 11:25

On Radio 4 this morning Michael Mosley talking with a professor about why the prostate needs tomatoes.

The prostate generates less of it's own protection against dna damage than other organs. Cooked Tomatoes create lycopene which is an anti-oxident helping protect the prostate.

How effective this is I don't know as I've always had a reasonable amount of cooked Tomatoes maybe not half a cup a day though.  As my psa is now detectable I'm with this.

It's a short programme, 15mins,  linked here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001r1ms?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Edited by member 04 Oct 2023 at 11:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 20:30

I can't think of anything I changed in my diet as a result of prostate cancer (ignoring temporary changes like going fibre-free during radiotherapy, and higher percentage of protein during hormone therapy).

I've never drunk alcohol, but that's just because I never found one I particularly liked.

I stopped eating beef during BSE and never really took it up again, but I never was a great fan of it. I'll allow myself a few good quality hamburgers at summer BBQs, and perhaps a really good steak and kidney pie in a restaurant probably less than once a year.

I stopped eating red meats and processed/preserved meats 2-3 decades ago, recognising they're a very significant cause of bowel cancer.

I'll eat any of these things if they're what's provided when at a friends, but they're things I don't buy for myself.

I still have plenty of dairy. I mostly don't achieve my 5 a day, and I still do Pomi-T on the basis it might compensate and might help prevent recurrence. Many days I have no meat, and what meat I have is mainly chicken and fish.

User
Posted 06 Oct 2023 at 08:34
There is no good evidence to show that once you have prostate cancer, anything in your diet will affect its progress or chance of recurrence.

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 16:22

I haven't listened to the program, but his programs are usually very good.

There is some thought that lycopene might protect against prostate cancer. It's the red colour in tomatoes and red peppers.

Lycopene is insoluble, so if you eat a fresh raw tomato, it simply passes through you as fibre without any extra benefits. In order to absorb lycopene, it needs to be consumed dissolved in oil. So the tomato (with skin, as that's where the lycopene is concentrated) needs to be cooked in oil, and the oil consumed. Some of the best sources are tomato ketchup, tomato soups, or even a teaspoon of tomato puree concentrate if it contains oil.

How beneficial it is if you already have prostate cancer is even less clear than the extent it might help to prevent getting it. It may well be you already missed the boat on that one.

Edited by member 04 Oct 2023 at 16:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 17:12
Another reason to fry tomatoes in olive oil.. just don't add any pasta as that is the food of Satan (carbs!)
User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 18:56

Andy, useful reply.   Some things seem they might help slow it down.   I'm keeping myself topped up with Vitamin D, 500IU, and subscribe to the idea of having the main growth removed and minimise processed meat.  As for carbs, I'm still eating those as I don't read much about it being useful.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 20:30

I can't think of anything I changed in my diet as a result of prostate cancer (ignoring temporary changes like going fibre-free during radiotherapy, and higher percentage of protein during hormone therapy).

I've never drunk alcohol, but that's just because I never found one I particularly liked.

I stopped eating beef during BSE and never really took it up again, but I never was a great fan of it. I'll allow myself a few good quality hamburgers at summer BBQs, and perhaps a really good steak and kidney pie in a restaurant probably less than once a year.

I stopped eating red meats and processed/preserved meats 2-3 decades ago, recognising they're a very significant cause of bowel cancer.

I'll eat any of these things if they're what's provided when at a friends, but they're things I don't buy for myself.

I still have plenty of dairy. I mostly don't achieve my 5 a day, and I still do Pomi-T on the basis it might compensate and might help prevent recurrence. Many days I have no meat, and what meat I have is mainly chicken and fish.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2023 at 23:09
You are all sheep when it comes to red meat!

Observational studies are weak types of scientific evidence that can, at best, suggest associations between two variables.

Higher-quality studies looking at current evidence suggest that the effect of red meat on cancer is weak and inconsistent

There is no evidence against red meat period, it's all The Seventh-day Adventist clap trap.

User
Posted 05 Oct 2023 at 14:22

HI francij1

I am afraid I don't agree with you. The subject of red meat and its association with cancer is well researched and published in referred journals. For example here is one link showing that meta-analyses (based on a review of over 60 scientific published papers) provides a clear evidence of link between red meat and increased risk of cancer:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4698595/

Edited by member 05 Oct 2023 at 15:31  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 06 Oct 2023 at 08:34
There is no good evidence to show that once you have prostate cancer, anything in your diet will affect its progress or chance of recurrence.

Chris