Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rapid prostate size enlargement

User
Posted 06 Oct 2023 at 22:29

Hello,

During my annual DRE, doctor noticed my prostate gland size has grown quickly since last year's exam.

Doctor said it felt: smooth, no nodules, and I did NOT feel pain when doctor pressed on prostate checking for infection.

Does cancer usually enlarge the prostate rapidly (during a 1-year period)?

Thanks,

Omar (48-years old)

User
Posted 07 Oct 2023 at 20:45

Hi Omar M,

I'm sorry, but I can't answer your question about prostate enlargement within a 12 month period.  However, has your doctor sent for a PSA blood test or undertaken any other investigations?

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2023 at 21:24
Feeling DRE can be rather subjective in terms of how large Prostate is and more accurate way to establish this is from MRI. The Prostate grows with age but the rate and extent varies from man to man. I don't think that any cancer would make a significant difference in a year to the size unless it was rather advanced and maybe pushing the capsule. Somebody I listened to who teaches GPs how to do a DRE, said many of them were pretty hopeless in making an accurate assessment and this maybe what has happened in your case. It is not unusual for a considerable number of men to have an unusually large Prostate, a condition called Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). If this becomes problematical, it can be treated.
Barry
User
Posted 07 Oct 2023 at 21:29

Hi JedSee,

I'm freaking out about my last PSA result - it doubled from 0.75 to 1.53, and the prostate size increased also within 12-month period. Is this a cancer in the making? It can't be prostatitis because I didn't feel any pain when the doctor pressed on the prostate during DRE.

I started testing my prostate since 2016, and these are my PSA levels (ng/ml) with DRE findings:

May 31, 2016: PSA (0.54) %Free PSA (35%)

Jan 29, 2018: PSA (0.58)

Mar 18, 2019: PSA (0.64)

May 15, 2020: PSA (0.62)

Aug 17, 2021: PSA (0.68) DRE (30g, smooth, no nodules)

Aug 23, 2022: PSA (0.75) DRE (30g, smooth, no nodules)

Aug 29, 2023: PSA (1.53) DRE (40g, smooth, no nodules, no pain felt when doctor pressed on prostate checking for infection)

User
Posted 07 Oct 2023 at 21:36

Hi Barry,

I'm desperate to find ANY reason other than cancer for the rapid spike in PSA from 0.75 to 1.53.

I was hoping to attribute the spike in PSA to the rapid growth of the prostate gland.

Does early prostate cancer manifest itself by a rapid increase in PSA? 

Thanks,

Omar

User
Posted 07 Oct 2023 at 21:40

One more thing - my DRE has been conducted by the same urologist since 2016, and only this year when he noticed the increase in prostate size.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2023 at 22:32

Hi Omar

I wouldn’t be overly worried about your PSA result. My understanding is they can vary, and I believe a level of less than 3 is considered “normal” by GPs. Maybe wait 4 weeks and get it retested ?

User
Posted 08 Oct 2023 at 12:56
Omar,

If you have not yet done so ask to have a urine test done where they use a culture, not just a urine dip test as this may show you have a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) that could be possible for raised PSA. I assume you did not have sex close before having blood taken for PSA, ridden a cycle or carried out other energetic activities that could have raised PSA. If your Prostate has grown more than anticipated that could be at least partly responsible for increase. I would support the suggestion that you get another PSA in about 4-6 weeks having first established you don't have a UTI. Your GP/Urologist should know more about the rate at which Prostates can grow.

Barry
User
Posted 08 Oct 2023 at 15:15

You don't have enough information to make a judgement. PSA is indicative but not enough to diagnose. You need to see a urologist to put your mind at rest or confirm that you have prostate cancer which is probably unlikely.

Edited by member 08 Oct 2023 at 15:17  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 09 Oct 2023 at 04:17

Hello Pratap, 

Your bio says: "I had robotic prostatectomy in 1971"?

Are you sure about the year (1971)?

I'm curious to know your age at the time of diagnosis.

Thanks,

Omar

User
Posted 09 Oct 2023 at 09:36

Hi OmarM

Thanks for pointing out my mistake! I was 72 when I had my surgery in 2012.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 09 Oct 2023 at 16:15

OldBarry

I am sorry for giving the wrong information about my diagnosis and treatment - I do sometimes worry about my memory!

To clarify: I had prostatectomy at the age of 72, in 2012 (12 years ago). I am now 84! I think that is right!!!!!!

User
Posted 10 Oct 2023 at 05:32

My urologist put me on Doxycycline 100mg for 30-days: August 30 - September 29, to rule-out prostatitis as cause of elevation. My new Free/Total PSA came out October 4:

PSA (1.12) %Free PSA (33%)

So my PSA dropped from 1.53 to 1.12 in 5-weeks, but still considerably higher from my 2022 baseline 0.75.

Your thoughts on this - is this a reasonable PSA response over a 5-week period?

Thanks,

Omar