I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

SABR Radiotherapy risk

User
Posted 10 Oct 2023 at 16:10

When my husband was diagnosed 5 years ago, part of his treatment was intensity modulated radiation therapy. 

After a recent rise in his PSA, a CT scan showed a metastasis on the left pubic bone area of his pelvis. He's been offered SABR to eradicate this but because of his previous IMRT he's been told there there's a 9-10% chance of bone necrosis which could lead to fractures. We're concerned he could end up in a wheelchair. 

The SABR could potentially stop the cancer in its tracks, especially with subsequent chemo or drug therapy. The alternative is only being able to control or slow down the spread of the cancer with hormone therapy & other modern day drugs. 

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? 

User
Posted 11 Oct 2023 at 18:37
I think the only thing you can do here is look at the probabilities, Bren. Without SABR, there is perhaps a 50% probability that he'll be dead within 5 years. With SABR, that risk will be significantly lowered, and there's a 90% probability that the treatment will be problem-free. A high probability of significant extension to his life and problem-free treatment against a small probability of problems but still the life extension. I know what I'd do!

Best wish,

Chris
User
Posted 15 Oct 2023 at 21:05

Thank you, Chris, that really has helped us to make the decision. 

I read your history and noticed you had RT in Clatterbridge at the exact same time as my husband. 

I hope you're doing well and thank you again.