Show search

Notification

Error

Post brachytherapy PSA increase

User
Posted 10 Oct 2023 at 16:15

Hello

Been a while since I posted last

My PSA has gone up to 5.19 after having been 2.82 6 months ago and 2.53 12 months ago (brachytherapy was c20 months ago)

Would be interested to hear thoughts/experiences on this

many thanks

User
Posted 10 Oct 2023 at 17:22

This could be a PSA bounce, which is quite common when you have any form of radiotherapy without hormone therapy (which would hide PSA bounces).

PSA bounces are periods when your PSA spikes up before dropping back lower than the starting point of the spike. The cause isn't known for sure, but the most likely guess is that it's a period when your immune system is killing off cancer cells damage by radiotherapy, and these spikes can happen for up to 3 years after the radiotherapy. Bounces happen in around 1/3rd of patients, and are more likely in younger patients with good immune systems. Those who have PSA bounces generally have better outcomes, but it's alarming at the time.

Obviously, this is something to ask your oncologist, but it's not necessarily bad news.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 20:38

I don't have a clear picture of the time line, but that sounds like it might not be a bounce due to the duration and level of rise. Have you seen a consultant yet?

I would be expecting to get a PSMA PET scan now to find where any cancer is.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Oct 2023 at 17:22

This could be a PSA bounce, which is quite common when you have any form of radiotherapy without hormone therapy (which would hide PSA bounces).

PSA bounces are periods when your PSA spikes up before dropping back lower than the starting point of the spike. The cause isn't known for sure, but the most likely guess is that it's a period when your immune system is killing off cancer cells damage by radiotherapy, and these spikes can happen for up to 3 years after the radiotherapy. Bounces happen in around 1/3rd of patients, and are more likely in younger patients with good immune systems. Those who have PSA bounces generally have better outcomes, but it's alarming at the time.

Obviously, this is something to ask your oncologist, but it's not necessarily bad news.

User
Posted 10 Oct 2023 at 17:30

Thanks Andy

yes I understand the PSA bounce - it’s just the level of the bounce which seems high 

best regards 

Brian

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 20:20

Hello

PSA has now gone up to 9.1

post brachytherapy 2 years ago it reduced to 2.5 then went to 2.8 then 5.2 (6 monthly readings) - when it went to 5.2 they did another check two months later (in December 2023)  and it was 5.5 - they said it was the post brachytherapy bounce.

Just a bit concerned that it seems to be more of a gradual increase than a bounce

Would welcome any members views

many thanks

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 20:38

I don't have a clear picture of the time line, but that sounds like it might not be a bounce due to the duration and level of rise. Have you seen a consultant yet?

I would be expecting to get a PSMA PET scan now to find where any cancer is.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 17:14

PSMA PET Scan scheduled for Monday 8th 

Fingers crossed 🤞 

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 09:36

That's a good step forward.