I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy concerns

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 17:00

Hi all. My name is Tony and I'm very new to all this. Story so far.... Had PSA of 12 and consultant advised MRI. This showed an area of concern so now due for a biopsy later this month. Checking Dr Google's pages and have found a range of experiences from "worst pain ever" to "didn't hurt much at all". Guessing it'll just be down to a bit of luck on the day but would be chuffed if anyone could let me know how the actual biopsy experience was for them and obviously any advice would be very welcome. Thanks. 

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 20:39
Hi Tony, sorry you have joined the club. My biopsy ( about a year ago ) was uncomfortable not painful. It does appear to be the luck of the draw. One quote from a radiography consultant was “if they get the local anaesthetic right you should be ok”. If! If.🤔

Recently I had a friend who had a biopsy and he thought it was very painful, urology consultant said these things can be hit or miss 😳

Sorry this won’t calm you. The biopsy is probably the “ worst “ procedure you will go through, anything which follows should be relatively straight forward.🤞

One thing which I would have never found out if I had not had the biopsy ( apart from the cancer ) was that apparently I had a rather tight anus 🤪 I bet it now looks like the end of a wizards sleeve 😎

Oh and I had blood in my urine for three weeks.

Click on my icon for more in depth details.

Hope the biopsy goes well.

Dave

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 21:01

Hi Tony,

I think most biopsies are now down through the Perinium rather than the rectum as there is much less chance of infection. I would advise steering well clear of Dr Google and only use this site for info,

I had a Transperenial Biopsy and I have to say although it was a little uncomfortable, compared to being on HT for 3 years it was a breeze. And the nurses are so good at protecting your modesty and reassuring you during the procedure. I had an audience from another Health Board observing the whole procedure….I’ve never had so many people looking at my arse before. 🤣🤣🤣

Im sure you’ll be fine, I know it’s difficult at times but try and stay positive as I’m certain it helps get through all the things you have to deal with during this ‘journey’

Good luck,

Derek

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 21:36
Mine was a standard biopsy and was uncomfortable but not really painful - I mean I hit my thumb last week with a hammer - THAT was painful!

The process was to disrobe into a gown and led into the procedure room where I lay on my back with bent knees. The urologist then inserted her finger for a DRE and then asked me to lie on my side.

She inserted something up my rectum and there were two stings as she injected into both sides of the prostate. After a couple of minutes she started to use what I can only describe as a gun that removed the cores - a "snap" and a slight sting. I have to say after 13 cores were taken I was glad to get it over and done with but all I was left with was a dull ache. Next morning it was back to normal.

HOWEVER - you will ejaculate what I can only describe as Heinz Ketchup for a week or so - it looks awful and will scare a partner so she may never go near it again LOL - it turns brown after a few days and then goes back to normal. You may also get a small amount of blood in your urine and stools.

Unfortunately the next stage is even worse - the waiting until you get the results. That is the hardest part so I convinced myself that it would need attention and so I had already decided that I wanted the RARP before I got the results - but I am sure everyone handles this in their own way.

Best of luck!

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 21:46

My transperineal biopsy was unpleasant and painful, but not unbearable.  The staff doing it couldn't have been nicer and were very sympathetic.   I was glad to have "got it done", in preference to waiting longer (with more hassle) in order to have a biopsy under general anaesthetic.

User
Posted 13 Oct 2023 at 10:02

Really grateful for the stories and advice. Like everyone, I'll just have to grin and 'bare' it but I do feel a bit better about things now. Forewarned is forearmed! I'll report back with my biopsy experience later as it may also help anyone else who is at this stage of the process. Thanks again. 

User
Posted 13 Oct 2023 at 18:15
I found the anticipation of the biopsy worse than the event. It was undignified and uncomfortable, but pain-wise about on a par with having a filling. The local anaesthetic used is the same as at the dentist’s. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 13 Oct 2023 at 20:13

Hi Zebedee63,

I found the biopsy uncomfortable, with a slight stinging sensation each time they took a sample, using a "gun"-type instrument.  However, I have several tattoos and in comparison, the biopsy was much less uncomfortable and quicker!

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 08 Nov 2023 at 15:35

Biopsy all done a week ago. I know people's pain threshold is variable but, as a number of you have reported, this genuinely was just a little uncomfortable rather than painful. The nurse carefully inserted an anaesthetic suppository first so that I really didn't feel a thing when the surgeon used a needle to further numb the bum before starting on the biopsy itself. The noise the needle makes when taking each prostate sample is a tad weird but still there was no pain. The nurses and surgeon were fabulous throughout, being supportive and advising on every detail of the procedure.  Aftermath has seen some blood from both sides when going to the loo but that cleared up after a few days. My semen (sorry) is continuing to be a Farrow & Ball shade of red so hoping this will sort itself soon. All in all, nowhere near the trauma I was expecting when the biopsy was first advised, thanks in large part to the honest stories shared here. Result next week so got my fingers and legs crossed!

User
Posted 08 Nov 2023 at 22:09

Just as a contrasting opinion.

I went for the general anesthetic. Consequently, no pain, no embarrassing moments whilst being messed about and probably easier for doctor as I was relaxed.

Recovery was quick and I was out of the hospital about 2 hours after the biopsy.

Why, why, why would anyone want to be awake during this horrible procedure?  Yes, you can probably endure it, but why?

User
Posted 08 Nov 2023 at 22:21

I have to say ForestJohn, I didn’t find it a horrible experience at all.

Now HT on the other hand, that IS a horrible experience…and you’ve got 3 years of it, not 10 mins. Just shows how everyone is different😊

User
Posted 09 Nov 2023 at 07:54

Agreed, HT is horrible. I've got to take it until it doesn't work, so no three years for me. The joys of stage 4!

As for the biopsy, there was no way I wanted to go though the indignity and discomfort of the procedure. The DRE was more than enough for me! By being asleep through the procedure I didn't have to worry about anything, I just woke up and it was over. Worked for me.

As I said, an alternative viewpoint to grinning and bearing it.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2023 at 08:04

I feel for you Forestjohn, I didn’t realise and my comment was maybe a little insensitive so my apologies. It’s refreshing to hear you remaining positive because I realise at some stage this might be me!

I can live with most of the side effects which are annoying more than anything else, but the joint ache and stiffness is debilitating. Do you get this and if so have you found anything that helps?

User
Posted 09 Nov 2023 at 10:24

I am with Forestjohn on this. I had my biopsy under a general for the reasons he gave. It worked very well for me. 

User
Posted 09 Nov 2023 at 17:41

My joint aches aren't too bad, because I swapped the prostap with orchidectomy. Still some with apalutamide, but not as bad. I find lots of rowing on the erg keeps them from getting top bad.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2023 at 22:06

I would consider orchidectomy as well, but I’m puzzled. Everyone I speak says the joint ache is caused by lack of testosterone rather than the drug itself. So, how is it not so bad if you have an orchidectomy and zero testosterone🤔🤔

User
Posted 09 Nov 2023 at 23:04

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Everyone I speak says the joint ache is caused by lack of testosterone rather than the drug itself.

Clearly there's disagreement on the side effects of the various HT drugs but failing any decent research on the subject and based on my own rather unpleasant experience of a Zoladex overdose, I suspect side effects are underplayed. In the 2 years I was on Z my testosterone was 0 but I had no joint pain. This doesn't prove anything except that loss of testosterone is not inevitably linked with joint pain. In the period after my HT had worn off and before my testosterone returned I felt considerably better and I can only attribute that to Z being out of my system.

If you went for an orchidectomy Derek you'd have the indefinite problem of ongoing loss of bone mass/density along with the excruciating frustration of loss of strength and the associated tendency of your body to prefer creating fat to making muscle [plus a few other nasties]. If your psa levels fell sharply after your RT and they're staying super low, you could consider pulling out of the HT after a year. Do you know if your RT was able to target the lymph node and seminal vesicle spread satisfactorily?

Sorry, I've gone very OT with regard to biopsies.

Jules

Edited by member 09 Nov 2023 at 23:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Nov 2023 at 09:06

Hi Jules,

I was only considering this if I ended up on HT for life. From what I can see the only thing I would be missing out on is possible HT holidays, and I’m not sure if that’s a good idea anyway. Unless of course some new wonder drug becomes available, who knows?

There were no signs of spread to the nodes but they did treat the seminal vesicles as I am T3B. The Onco is happy and my PSA at 3 months post RT is 0.3.

In the meantime I will continue in my search for something to help!

Derek