I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

hesitancy ONLY in the mornings

User
Posted 17 Oct 2023 at 20:13

hello everybody. when I wake up in the morning especially if I sleep through the night, my stream is incredibly weak. however, as I go about my day my flow increases to the point where at times I feel like it’s somewhat normal. with that said it is concerning in the mornings when you really have to go and it’s tough to get it out. similarly this seems to happen whenever I hold it in for extended periods of time. this seems like an anomaly to me and one would believe if I had a large prostate which pinches the stream in the morning it would do the same later in the day. Has anybody experience this? if so, were you able to get to the bottom of why this happens? thank you ahead of time for any guidance that you can give.

- Omar

DOB: 48-years of age

PSA (October 2023): Total (1.12), %Free (33%)

User
Posted 17 Oct 2023 at 21:18

Everyone pees slower at night, and immediately after waking up. When you're younger, you probably didn't notice, but if your prostate is enlarging, then it is likely to become noticeable. This is because relaxing the urinary sphincter is done by your autonomous nervous system (not under conscious control), and the part which controls this goes to sleep too, but takes longer to wake up than your conscious nervous system. So if you try to pee when you've just woken up, the part of your nervous system which relaxes your sphincter is still somewhat asleep. Many people have another pee quite soon after the first pee of the day (and there's a different reason for this), but find the second one is faster than the first one.

Hesitancy can also be psychological, e.g. peeing when someone else is present, or even just worrying you might not be able to pee might trigger it. Does taking your mind off it help, e.g. sitting on the loo and reading a book or doing social media on your phone, rather than concentrating on trying to pee?

User
Posted 17 Oct 2023 at 22:10

I can agree with what Andy says, I find this happens to me more so as I’ve got older 

User
Posted 17 Oct 2023 at 22:28

It may be worth getting a urine bottle with a ml scale on it and keeping a urine diary, measuring fluid in and urine out and time of day. Also worth timing how long it takes to pee,this will give an average flow rate, not as good as the hospital flow test but may help your GP identify the cause.It sounds like your hesitation and or flow is worse when the bladder is full.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 17 Oct 2023 at 23:10

I had urinary retention a while back, in discussion with the urologist he said a full bladder is harder to empty than a half full one. This is actually a well known physics experiment which seems counter intuitive.

https://youtu.be/Jm1-lS73TGo?feature=shared

So yes if you hold it in, or have slept all night your bladder will be full and any resistance due to prostate problems will be harder to overcome.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Oct 2023 at 21:18

Everyone pees slower at night, and immediately after waking up. When you're younger, you probably didn't notice, but if your prostate is enlarging, then it is likely to become noticeable. This is because relaxing the urinary sphincter is done by your autonomous nervous system (not under conscious control), and the part which controls this goes to sleep too, but takes longer to wake up than your conscious nervous system. So if you try to pee when you've just woken up, the part of your nervous system which relaxes your sphincter is still somewhat asleep. Many people have another pee quite soon after the first pee of the day (and there's a different reason for this), but find the second one is faster than the first one.

Hesitancy can also be psychological, e.g. peeing when someone else is present, or even just worrying you might not be able to pee might trigger it. Does taking your mind off it help, e.g. sitting on the loo and reading a book or doing social media on your phone, rather than concentrating on trying to pee?

User
Posted 17 Oct 2023 at 22:10

I can agree with what Andy says, I find this happens to me more so as I’ve got older 

User
Posted 17 Oct 2023 at 22:28

It may be worth getting a urine bottle with a ml scale on it and keeping a urine diary, measuring fluid in and urine out and time of day. Also worth timing how long it takes to pee,this will give an average flow rate, not as good as the hospital flow test but may help your GP identify the cause.It sounds like your hesitation and or flow is worse when the bladder is full.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 17 Oct 2023 at 23:10

I had urinary retention a while back, in discussion with the urologist he said a full bladder is harder to empty than a half full one. This is actually a well known physics experiment which seems counter intuitive.

https://youtu.be/Jm1-lS73TGo?feature=shared

So yes if you hold it in, or have slept all night your bladder will be full and any resistance due to prostate problems will be harder to overcome.

Dave