I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Suitable clothing for father with long-term indwelling catheter

User
Posted 21 Oct 2023 at 21:31

Good evening, I am writing on behalf of my father who is very elderly.  He has been living with prostate cancer for decades and it has been managed well with medication and sometimes injections.  Unfortunately, he recently developed an enlarged prostate and will need to use an indwelling catheter long-term.  I am helping him change his day bag once a week, empty it a couple of times a day and connect the night bag.  His trousers are a regular fit, but they are too tight with the bag on (it sits over his knee) and it's very difficult to roll up the trouser leg, check the day bag is okay and to access the valve and empty the bag.  He likes to dress smartly and doesn't want to use joggers.  Can anyone suggest smart-styled trousers that would be easy to push up and over the lag?  I've bought him a pair of smart sports trousers where you can unzip the lower part of the leg, but he's not too keen on those either as they are too casual.  Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

User
Posted 22 Oct 2023 at 02:46

Hi George, glad you've made your first post. I only had to deal with a catheter for a few weeks. Rather than an indwelling catheter I found intermittent self catheterisation much better, if you have not been offered this it is worth considering, but is not suitable for everyone.

I'm a bit surprised the catheter bag sits above the knee. I'm pretty sure if you got a longer tube and it was strapped to the lower leg (which mine was) it would be very easy to find even slightly flared trousers which would look smart.

Strapped to the lower leg the exit tap was next to my ankle. At the pub I would go in the sit down cubicle, put one foot on the seat and open the tap draining in to the bowl. On a country walk i would just pretend I was tying my shoe laces open the tap wait a while and then close it.

If it has to be above the knee, has he ever considered a kilt?

Dave

User
Posted 22 Oct 2023 at 08:52

George, I have had a permanent suprapubic catheter for over six years and understand your dad's situation. I also wear my bag across the knee. I have the same issue trying to find and suitable trousers, I do wear smart jogger type trousers nearly all of the time, I also have the issue of the waistband across the SPC site. I have searched the high street stores for more roomy trouser legs without being to big around the bum and waist, I think the only option may be made to measure trousers. I would be interested to know what the sports trousers were you mentioned.

I found the bag on the lower leg was always falling down unless the strap was quite tight, post op for a couple of weeks is okay but long term when more active needs a different approach.

I use the statlock adhesive fixation device to secure the catheter. I do have a flipflo and short tube bag in a leg sleeve with one bag strap at the top, this help stop the bag sliding down below the knee. Another useful device is a lock for the leg bag tap, it saves accidentally opening the leg bag tap and getting a shoe full of urine. I use Bard bags and a bard uriloc, I rang Bard and they said they would send me a hand full ,must have small hands I got one. The uriloc may be a struggle if he doesn't have nimble fingers.

As mentioned I also use the bard urisleeve, it saves having to have two leg bag straps. At night I attach the night bag tube to my ankle with a thigh/G strap, it save any pulling on the night bag tube/leg bag outlet connection. I put my night bag on half a night bag stand that sits in a flex bag, not as big as a bucket and not as low as a bowl. I have had one night bag leak in over six years.

Hope all goes well for Dad.

Please let me know if you find any suitable trousers for him.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 17:08

Dear Dave and Chris,

Thank you so much for your responses, all very helpful.  A leg bag lock sounds like a useful device to have and the night bag hanger.  He's using some of the other items that you've suggested.  Chris, the trousers he has are Decathlon's Quechua modular hiking trousers, which have a zip-off leg.

Many thanks again.  This is a very useful forum and website.