I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

GP blood result

User
Posted 22 Oct 2023 at 06:03

My GP checked and my protate was only a little enlarged but the psa result was high, I was in a daze so cannot remember the number but 16 rings a bell. I'm due to see a urologist in the next 2 weeks. Terrified. Any comments would be appreciated.

User
Posted 22 Oct 2023 at 06:03

My GP checked and my protate was only a little enlarged but the psa result was high, I was in a daze so cannot remember the number but 16 rings a bell. I'm due to see a urologist in the next 2 weeks. Terrified. Any comments would be appreciated.

User
Posted 22 Oct 2023 at 14:39

Hi Bob,

Higher or increased PSA levels are only an indicator that there maybe something awry.

Try not to worry the urologist will investigate the cause and decide what, if any, further action is required.

User
Posted 22 Oct 2023 at 15:38

Hi Bob,

I understand how you feel, when you are first referred you think the worst and your mind goes into overdrive. I was 36 at diagnosis and now down to 0.3. You’ll probably be in line for further scans and probably biopsies…until they are done you won’t know the full extent of your diagnosis. It would be silly for me to say to try not to worry but just try and keep active and busy as possible….the waiting on results is one of the worst parts of this journey.

Good luck,

Derek

Edited by member 22 Oct 2023 at 15:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Oct 2023 at 21:41

Hi BobbW,

As others have said, you may not have cancer at all.  You could have Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) - simply put, enlarged prostate, which is not cancerous and is treatable.  You might also have a urinary tract infection.

As Decho has said, try to distract yourself with enjoyable or productive activities until you see the urologist.   You can't so anything until then anyway.  If they do find something significant, you still may have the option of Active Surveillance, rather than having to undergo any treatment whatsoever.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 23 Oct 2023 at 14:36

Hi Bobbw

So far you have only warning signs. It may not be cancer but even if it is it is not a death sentence. There is a a number of treatments available, from curative to life extending, with good quality of life. I was diagnosed at the age of 72, had surgery, and I am still here, 12 years later, living a  'new' normal life. Good luck

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Oct 2023 at 14:39

Hi Bob,

Higher or increased PSA levels are only an indicator that there maybe something awry.

Try not to worry the urologist will investigate the cause and decide what, if any, further action is required.

User
Posted 22 Oct 2023 at 15:38

Hi Bob,

I understand how you feel, when you are first referred you think the worst and your mind goes into overdrive. I was 36 at diagnosis and now down to 0.3. You’ll probably be in line for further scans and probably biopsies…until they are done you won’t know the full extent of your diagnosis. It would be silly for me to say to try not to worry but just try and keep active and busy as possible….the waiting on results is one of the worst parts of this journey.

Good luck,

Derek

Edited by member 22 Oct 2023 at 15:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Oct 2023 at 21:41

Hi BobbW,

As others have said, you may not have cancer at all.  You could have Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) - simply put, enlarged prostate, which is not cancerous and is treatable.  You might also have a urinary tract infection.

As Decho has said, try to distract yourself with enjoyable or productive activities until you see the urologist.   You can't so anything until then anyway.  If they do find something significant, you still may have the option of Active Surveillance, rather than having to undergo any treatment whatsoever.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 23 Oct 2023 at 14:36

Hi Bobbw

So far you have only warning signs. It may not be cancer but even if it is it is not a death sentence. There is a a number of treatments available, from curative to life extending, with good quality of life. I was diagnosed at the age of 72, had surgery, and I am still here, 12 years later, living a  'new' normal life. Good luck

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate