Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

So I have prostate cancer and no clue what questions I should be asking

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 07:17

Hello folks,

I am 55, and until yesterday I thought in ok shape. I’d not heard back for 7 weeks after biopsy so assumed there was nothing to worry about but had a conversation with the registrar yesterday who informed me I had cancer with a Gleason score of 7 (medium?) My PSA previously recorded at 8.7 which had started the journey as my ‘old man’ company health check. Treatment will be ‘radical Prostatectomy’ which sounds scary enough to want to look at alternatives or maybe even deploying a ‘wait and see’ strategy?

I’ve not had any written or further info, scanning through the other posts here there are a blizzard of acronyms and tekky information people seem to have on their disease. I’m planning to call the consultants secretary today and would be grateful for some tips on what info I should be asking for about my specific condition.

many thanks

Glynn

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 07:17

Hello folks,

I am 55, and until yesterday I thought in ok shape. I’d not heard back for 7 weeks after biopsy so assumed there was nothing to worry about but had a conversation with the registrar yesterday who informed me I had cancer with a Gleason score of 7 (medium?) My PSA previously recorded at 8.7 which had started the journey as my ‘old man’ company health check. Treatment will be ‘radical Prostatectomy’ which sounds scary enough to want to look at alternatives or maybe even deploying a ‘wait and see’ strategy?

I’ve not had any written or further info, scanning through the other posts here there are a blizzard of acronyms and tekky information people seem to have on their disease. I’m planning to call the consultants secretary today and would be grateful for some tips on what info I should be asking for about my specific condition.

many thanks

Glynn

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 18:03

Glynn, a quirk of this forum is that new conversations have to be moderated, coupled with the "posts since last visit" new conversations can get missed.

Sorry you find yourself on here, hopefully you may have got some more information from your phone call today.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 18:25

Hi Glynn

To echo what Chris said, your post only just showed up I’m afraid. I hope you got more news today? Armed with a bit more info on your diagnosis I’m sure there will be plenty of offers of advice from the group on here. Let us know more when you can mate.

Ian.

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 19:55

Well here is some good news, the fact that you are being offered a Radical Prostatectomy means that you are on a curative path way.

As others have said a bit more information will help with the advice.

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 21:29

One possible question to ask  is whether the cancer is  confined within the gland with clear margins. Of course no one can give you an accurate answer but if the consultant is experienced he may give you some indication of his confidence level in his judgement based on MRI scan.  Good luck.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 21:55

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I’d not heard back for 7 weeks after biopsy  

Hi Glynn

Is your Gleason 7 (3+4) or (4+3).

Seven weeks seems an awful long time to get your biopsy results.

It's sad to see you here, but I'm glad you've found this place, it can be very helpful. 

Adrian.

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 22:12

This thread has some suggestions, as to what to ask.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29667-D-day-tomorrow#post285177

Dave

User
Posted 25 Oct 2023 at 00:04

Sorry you find yourself here Glynn. 

Hopefully you got some more information on your phone call.

Always a difficult decision knowing what is best but when you find out more you should find it a bit easier.

Elaine

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 18:03

Glynn, a quirk of this forum is that new conversations have to be moderated, coupled with the "posts since last visit" new conversations can get missed.

Sorry you find yourself on here, hopefully you may have got some more information from your phone call today.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 18:25

Hi Glynn

To echo what Chris said, your post only just showed up I’m afraid. I hope you got more news today? Armed with a bit more info on your diagnosis I’m sure there will be plenty of offers of advice from the group on here. Let us know more when you can mate.

Ian.

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 19:55

Well here is some good news, the fact that you are being offered a Radical Prostatectomy means that you are on a curative path way.

As others have said a bit more information will help with the advice.

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 21:29

One possible question to ask  is whether the cancer is  confined within the gland with clear margins. Of course no one can give you an accurate answer but if the consultant is experienced he may give you some indication of his confidence level in his judgement based on MRI scan.  Good luck.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 21:55

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I’d not heard back for 7 weeks after biopsy  

Hi Glynn

Is your Gleason 7 (3+4) or (4+3).

Seven weeks seems an awful long time to get your biopsy results.

It's sad to see you here, but I'm glad you've found this place, it can be very helpful. 

Adrian.

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 22:12

This thread has some suggestions, as to what to ask.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29667-D-day-tomorrow#post285177

Dave

User
Posted 25 Oct 2023 at 00:04

Sorry you find yourself here Glynn. 

Hopefully you got some more information on your phone call.

Always a difficult decision knowing what is best but when you find out more you should find it a bit easier.

Elaine

User
Posted 25 Oct 2023 at 07:51

Thanks very much folks - some really positive replies here. I’ve now also taken a look at the prostate uk website which has some great info. ‘Prostate panic’ seems to be receding a little and support appreciated.