Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hot and cold sweats, and fatigue

User
Posted 26 Oct 2023 at 10:12

Hello everyone.

I had radiotherapy and hormone treatment in March, and is now finished. Luckily, my PSA has gone down significantly.

I still suffer with continual hot and cold sweats, which are completely debilitating, being really hot one minute to freezing cold the next.

Does anyone have the same, and have any advice on how to deal with it?

Thank you 

User
Posted 26 Oct 2023 at 11:31
Are you still on HT?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 26 Oct 2023 at 12:40

Have you tried Sage? It helps for some people but not me. I was advised to take Vitamin E for ED purposes but for some reason it has significantly helped with my flushes, much less often and severe. I don’t get cold ones, only hot. There is a drug, sorry can’t remember it’s name but can be prescribed and has helped some of the guys in my Maggies Group.

For night time I have a small step less motor fan on my bedside cabinet and it’s on very low all night and is quiet.  it helps keep me cool. I also have a pocket fan which I carry, although I don’t need it very often now.

Hope you get some relief as it can be quite debilitating 😟

Derek

User
Posted 26 Oct 2023 at 13:42

I am on appalutamide and zoledex. I get hot flushes, and do get a bit cold as well, but not as extreme as yours sound. Still, I do find breaking out into a sweat in company a bit embarrassing. The advice from my oncologist is that acupuncture is the best thing to try, which I have not got round to doing yet. 
I have read that the hot flushes do calm down for some people in time. 

User
Posted 26 Oct 2023 at 15:26

Delpops, I had chemo and radiotherapy last year for my locally advanced PC. The side effects were unpleasant but manageable. I have also been on Zoladex for nearly two years with one more year and a bit sceduled.

As far as Zoladex side effects go I seem to have copped the lot - fatigue, loss of libido, weight gain, joint stiffness/pain and hot/cold flushes. I tried some alternative remedies including evening primrose oil and sage neither of which helped. I had 14 sessions of acupuncture but, alas, that was unsuccessful too. Someone on this site suggested vitamin E but that gave me the squits and had to be ditched. The only relief in my case is by using fans to keep cool - a large one in the bedroom with a remote control under the pillow and a handheld fan that accompanies me everywhere. Also, I have layers of blankets on the bed rather than a duvet making it easier to adjust my bedding.

I am sure others react differently but I am looking forward to when I can discontinue the Zoladex. I understand that it can take several months before its effects diminish. I hope yours are over soon. All the best.

User
Posted 26 Oct 2023 at 18:51
I was on Zoladex for 3 years and suffered the expected side effects it did sort of help in that hey were all sort of expecyed. Anyway, as far as the hot flushes etc are concerned, I am one of those for whom acupuncture really made a very big difference. I was getting them day and night but the acupuncture reduced the effects a lot, they still happened but nowhere near as "severe".

You should be able to be referred for acupuncture, the likes of McMillan/Maggies etc will probably have details. Obviously some may not wish to have many little needles stuck in various parts.

Peter

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 09:22

Thanks everyone for your help and good wishes.

I'm gonna speak to the Macmillan nurses.

Best wishes

Del